CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

geeker

17th July 2023, 14:05
redpete, I'm fairly certain it's the Chambers crossword dictionary, but not 100% since I own neither. Presumably

https://chambers.co.uk/book/chambers-crossword-dictionary/

Other posters could say more than I on the subject.
61 of 67  -   Report This Post

redpete

17th July 2023, 16:16
Thanks geeker, apologies for predictive text error!
62 of 67  -   Report This Post

darla

17th July 2023, 17:27
redpete, I think the edition you have would be sufficient for puzzles such as the Prize. Perhaps you could update to the latest. I find I use both the main dictionary and the crossword dictionary for puzzles such as the Listener. I notice that a lot of people on this forum swear by Bradford's for a crossword dictionary though. I don't have that one so can't vouch for it personally.
63 of 67  -   Report This Post

burd

19th July 2023, 08:40
Hi new to this forum — All complete but have no idea why 21d works. Get the 'us' but unsure why Cod?
64 of 67  -   Report This Post

jono

19th July 2023, 08:47
Hi Burd, welcome!
Cod is the definition. It can mean sham or hoax. Can is the first three letters and rest you have.
65 of 67  -   Report This Post

burd

19th July 2023, 08:55
Thanks jono I'm going to invest in a dictionary!
66 of 67  -   Report This Post

bacchanal

19th July 2023, 09:27
A lovely tribute to Nutmeg.
I liked 20a, a new word for me.
17a too, though I imagined the chap ransacking the rectories rather than just worrying them.
Will be thinking of Nutmeg tomorrow (her funeral). For those who mentioned resources, Nutmeg's own "tools of the trade" were, according to the Guardian:
Collins Dictionary & Thesaurus
Concise OED
Chambers Dictionary
Chambers Crossword Dictionary
Bradford's Crossword Solver's Dictionary
67 of 67  -   Report This Post