CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jennaralissima

16th July 2023, 15:53
geeker, yes I was thinking about it, but I'm not sure if I'm compulsive enough! However, I do occasionally find myself browsing through my SOD just for fun. Perhaps I can persuade someone to put it on their Christmas list for me!
51 of 67  -   Report This Post

jennaralissima

16th July 2023, 17:03
Let me ask one last question. Is 23D a fair clue? QuickSolve shows 150+ possiblities but I don't see one among them that fits?

I do think, and I know that this is considered heresy, that 7D, requiring a specific dictionary (without it being mentioned in the instructions as rare or obscure - as is often the case elsewhere, e.g. Harpers), is not a fair clue. I could make up a better clue for it myself quite easily.
52 of 67  -   Report This Post

chrise

16th July 2023, 17:19
the "ground" in 23d is a bit confusing, but without it the clue wouldn't be cryptic at all.
53 of 67  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

16th July 2023, 17:30
I think 'ground' is what happens to the membrane that covers the seed in 5
54 of 67  -   Report This Post

chrise

16th July 2023, 17:57
It isn't necessarily ground. The ground form is easy to find, but I have spent a couple of years fruitlessly trying to source the unground version; a few weeks ago a friend accidentally bought far more than she needed, and gave me enough to last for a year or two!
55 of 67  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

16th July 2023, 18:01
Yes, you can buy it whole Chris.. I can't think of any other reason for ground to be in the clue other than to mislead ?
56 of 67  -   Report This Post

jennaralissima

16th July 2023, 18:48
Well, this is all very odd. The online Chambers for the word I'm thinking of (made from the 'covering' (outer shell) of 5A's real name doesn't have any more defs than SOD. I must be missing something. But no matter, I can wait. Somehow, I suspect I won't like it at all.
57 of 67  -   Report This Post

jennaralissima

16th July 2023, 22:46
23d Wikipedia. So fair enough, I guess, just about.. Oh well.
58 of 67  -   Report This Post

jono

17th July 2023, 12:04
A nice piece by Alan Connor (Everyman) in today’s Guardian crossword blog …

https://www.theguardian.com/crosswords/crossword-blog/2023/jul/17/crossword-blog-goodbye-to-nutmeg
59 of 67  -   Report This Post

redpete

17th July 2023, 13:49
Geezer
When you say get Chambers, do you mean the general Chambers dictionary (being an old git, I have the 20th Century version) or do you mean the specific crossword dictionary?
60 of 67  -   Report This Post