CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

deviant

19th March 2023, 13:04
This sort of thing (16D) makes me hate The Listener a bit - it makes you feel stupid when everyone else can see what's going on, but you can't. I know I'm pushing retirement now, but I'd still not rather feel slow on the uptake :(

The only abbreviations I can see are maths-related (or football or geography), but wouldn't have any bearing on the answer that I can see.
41 of 80  -   Report This Post

hotelwhiskey7

19th March 2023, 13:16
One of your three candidate possibilities is correct.

TBH, it’s a bit of overkill to call them abbreviations, as they’re so universally understood, but there you go.

If you have the answer correct, then the theme (ie treatment of the others) should remove any doubt.
42 of 80  -   Report This Post

deviant

19th March 2023, 13:29
Thank you, ILW. I'll assume which one, but I really don't see the direction indicator.
43 of 80  -   Report This Post

candledave

19th March 2023, 13:34
deviant - break the word down as 6,1,2,1 then you see it
44 of 80  -   Report This Post

hotelwhiskey7

19th March 2023, 13:38
One of your three candidate possibilities is correct.

TBH, it’s a bit of overkill to call them abbreviations, as they’re so universally understood, but there you go.

If you have the answer correct, then the theme (ie treatment of the others) should remove any doubt.
45 of 80  -   Report This Post

dsc

19th March 2023, 16:03
deviant, welcome to my world!
46 of 80  -   Report This Post

patch49

19th March 2023, 16:39
I have a full grid without finding all of the extra words. Do I need to go back and find them?
47 of 80  -   Report This Post

andyp

19th March 2023, 17:18
patch49 - its up to you really - you have got to point of being able to submit - the puzzle doesnt require you to show you have determined the message. But some may argue you haven't done everything the setter intended.
48 of 80  -   Report This Post

williamseal

19th March 2023, 18:38
is it too early to ask for a nudge. I've completed the grid but (including cold-loving the nine answers) but am now stuck.

I am struggling with the eight extra words. I have 4ac, 20ac, 29 ac and 41 ac which helpfully make some sort of sense. On the downs, possibilities are 1d, 7d, 21d and 27 d (the first I cannot understand and the last is uncertain). I'd like to carry on so any help appreciated. I think I'll enjoy it if I can finish.

Thanks
49 of 80  -   Report This Post

quixote

19th March 2023, 18:55
Amazingly (but thanks in no small measure to this Forum) I have no problem with 16d - but, following the instructions from the eight extra words - which I fully understand the implications of - [i[vide 16d -
I am having no similar success understanding the derivations of the almost complete entries from the answers to the other eight - probably because I've only puzzled-out 3 of those answers.
Tricky without any crossings.

I'm also foxed by most of the clues to 'normal' answers down the right-hand-side.
No doubt the penny will drop.
50 of 80  -   Report This Post