CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

rad

18th March 2023, 15:50
Two of the clues seem to be slightly faulty, according to the commonly accepted rules: 6dn definitely (indirect anagram type) and 42ac possibly (perhaps jobcentre should be two words, and even then some traditionalists would not like it).
21 of 80  -   Report This Post

granama1

18th March 2023, 16:03
Can't see a problem with 6d to be honest and don't have it as an indirect anagram.

The government uses the term 'Jobcentre' and 'Jobcentre Plus' so I think it's legit too.
22 of 80  -   Report This Post

jack aubrey

18th March 2023, 16:14
Surely 6d is the first two letters (an abbreviation) and the remainder a plural reversed and not an indirect anagram? As to jobcentre, Chambers has it thus:

“ job centre or Jobcentre noun
(also without cap) an office run by the government agency Jobcentre Plus, which provides information about available jobs”

The “also without cap” qualifies the compound form.
23 of 80  -   Report This Post

rad

18th March 2023, 16:19
Thanks, Granama.

My problem with jobcentre was that I thought it was meant to indicate O. I now realise that there is a much more obvious way to explain the O. My apologies.

Perhaps I have parsed 6dn incorrectly as well? I had a 3-letter word for rating and then combined it with sets to form the anagram. This struck me as unorthodox.
24 of 80  -   Report This Post

granama1

18th March 2023, 16:27
6d, I think the 'rating' is naval and the 'sets' is a reversed commonly used term although I wouldn't normally spell it like that...my singular version would have a 'y' in. 🙂
25 of 80  -   Report This Post

rad

18th March 2023, 18:36
Thanks also to Jack Aubrey for clearing up my other difficulty. Unusual plural!
26 of 80  -   Report This Post

bathmatters

19th March 2023, 02:57
Have found the 8 extra words - but have two extras as well.

Both “Torn” in 9 and “King” in 21 seem extraneous to their clues.

27 of 80  -   Report This Post

mattrom

19th March 2023, 04:04
In 9d. I took 'torn' as a separate anagrind for 'rip'.
I've paired 'king' with another word.
28 of 80  -   Report This Post

0pt0

19th March 2023, 09:35
Despite the hints already posted here, I still cannot parse 16 down. Firstly, I do not understand why the checked letters are entered the way they are. Secondly, I cannot see the required "direction". I have a possibility for the "direction" which is *'* ***, but it gives me two possibilities for the un-checked cell, so I think it must be wrong. Any further hints would be most welcome.
29 of 80  -   Report This Post

candledave

19th March 2023, 09:42
As the preamble says, the word contains two abbreviations not one
30 of 80  -   Report This Post