CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

brendan

29th October 2022, 01:10
I solved this week's Prize by Picaroon in 3 stages: the first was characterised by a very slow start and a feeling I was, perhaps, not on Picaroon's wavelength, the next was a steady, even brisk solve, in which I completed 90% of the puzzle, but the last stage was an increasingly desperate attempt to parse the last few clues - even though I was certain they were correct. I speak of 28a and, almost comically, the three letter 17d! Then there was the first two letters of 4d, where I initially wondered if there was an error and "retro" was meant to be "recto", before the penny finally dropped and I saw what was staring me in the face!!

Oh, and 15d - where I'd convinced myself the answer was related to an amorous Roman God and had me checking the shape of my lips in a mirror 💋 - anyone who goes down the same rabbit hole will know what I mean:-)

Anyway, enough nonsense. Like I said, difficult in parts but enough relatively easier to ones to allow a firm foothold.

If you do get stuck there is at least one hidden in the acrosses and at least one long anagram in downs.

COD - Regulars will know of my love of a good surface when it comes to clue writing so, with that in mind, I've picked the short but sweet 9a, the sweet and sour 😜16d, but my pick of the bunch is the wonderful 11a.

Thanks to Picaroon for a most entertaining Prize crossword:-)

Let us know how you got on - new posters are particularly welcome and, as always, if you get stuck just post your query on here and someone will help you out.

Stay safe:-)
1 of 65  -   Report This Post

geeker

29th October 2022, 01:26
Hi Brendan,
I liked this one, thanks to Picaroon. Bit of a slow start: on a first scan I got practically nothing. Got started with the central square construction and the rest went quickly.
Easier than Prize norm IMO, but plenty of enjoyable clues.

FOI 17d, LOI 26.
Co-COD (5,22) and 6, as I have a taste for the off-colo(u)r / Pauline; other contenders 7, 9, 24 and 15.

Unusual grid? Almost all the rows and columns seem strange, the way words and patterns of unchecked squares follow each other. But I enjoyed that feature as well.
2 of 65  -   Report This Post

brendan

29th October 2022, 01:35
Hi Geeker,

I enjoyed your COD picks, so many Picaroon clues have good surfaces.

I never notice things like grid construction or Nina's but I'm sure you're - Jono is an expert on these thing so I'm sure he will be able to add some insight.
3 of 65  -   Report This Post

geeker

29th October 2022, 01:41
Brendan, from your COD contenders I overlooked 11, perhaps as it took a while for me to trust the parsing. 9 was one of my favorites, too. 16 funny and clever, it was on my "long list" that got pruned for posting brevity. :-)
4 of 65  -   Report This Post

jono

29th October 2022, 08:10
Good fun I thought. I recall Brendan (the setter) used this grid for the last New Year’s Day puzzle (28,643), where all the months were hidden and the central ring contained year twice, so was on the look out for something clever here, but I don’t see it this time. Found the bottom half easier than the top.

6d contains a single letter abbreviation I can’t confirm in Chambers or Collins. It’s more usually a two letter abbreviation I think, or am I wrong?
5 of 65  -   Report This Post

brendan

29th October 2022, 08:19
Hi Jono,

6d - That's how I parsed it and I'm pretty sure sure I have seen it represented by a single letter before but, you're right, it is usually 2 letters as shown in Chambers.

Kind of surprised Picaroon didn't choose "pens (as in 'writes to' Conservative" instead - it would have fit with the theme of the clue and I think it would work well?
6 of 65  -   Report This Post

jono

29th October 2022, 08:32
Thanks Brendan. I found that single letter abbreviation in the OED, so it’s ok. I like your ‘conservative’ idea :-)
7 of 65  -   Report This Post

davel

29th October 2022, 10:08
So 26d will be my LOI when I get it! Not looking for hints though, I’d like to get there without help. And I’ve just had a PDM as to what ‘yearly’ is doing in the clue, so hoping I’ll get there soon.
As usual, wonderful clueing by Picaroon. I’ll be back later.
8 of 65  -   Report This Post

chrise

29th October 2022, 10:43
I'm having an odd experience with this - SW and NE complete; NW and SE empty!
9 of 65  -   Report This Post

birder

29th October 2022, 10:46
Think of a two letter abbreviation for yearly I think that that will put you on the right track
10 of 65  -   Report This Post