CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jazzgirl

1st October 2022, 19:10
Yes. anagram
81 of 107  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

1st October 2022, 19:12
yes to the shire ending
82 of 107  -   Report This Post

paradigmshifter

1st October 2022, 19:31
Yeah 2D and 7D were so obscure I had to go to a site for former counties of the UK.

7D was quite a good clue though (parse-wise) but I certainly wouldn't have got it just from the wordplay. Ken Loach is known for different kinds of films these days, so I forgot that was one of his.
83 of 107  -   Report This Post

roof

1st October 2022, 19:32
Hi everyone

I was worried I wouldn't have time for the crossword today as I was out all day (Riverside Field Kitchen - Rocky - it was excellent. I haven't been for a few years, I would recommend it). But I started at 5.30pm and finished by 7.00pm. (Sorry Jennerallisimo). It was unusual for me to be able to just write them in especially as the quick crossword seems so hard today. I did need to google some to remind me and I didn't know 7d. It has just taken me ages to read through all the hints here and I'm grateful for the explanation of some of the parsings, especially 3d and 7d. I was going to ask about the parsing for 19ac, but I've just got it.

My FOI was 13ac and my COD was 11ac like most of you. My LOI was 19ac.

Nice to have an easy one for once. And nice to have a reminder of Thor Heyerdahl - I read his book as a teenager and I'm ever so old now.
84 of 107  -   Report This Post

chrise

1st October 2022, 19:37
jenneralissima @80
I'm sorry that you didn't find this easy, but I don't think that you can complain about so many of us posting that we found it so.
85 of 107  -   Report This Post

chrise

1st October 2022, 19:48
Roof @84
I read Thor Heyerdahl's raft and Easter Island books when I was was young, and was fascinated by them. Unfortunately later research has completely disproved all his theories!
86 of 107  -   Report This Post

paradigmshifter

1st October 2022, 19:48
It did not help that the site I was looking at for the counties had a different spelling of 2D, but I knew about the variant spelling of the place.

I was expecting this to be really hard (since I suck at geography and historical stuff), but once I got the 15 letter downers it was pretty straightforward, and I usually take a long time doing the prize. I struggled a bit at the end, with 3D, 11A, 16A, 22A but got them without any hints in the end. (Needed to guess and then Wikipedia for LOI 16A).

Took me 3 hours so not as straightforward as some other people, but most of that time was spent on the last 4.
87 of 107  -   Report This Post

geeker

1st October 2022, 19:57
jennaralissima, 2d is an anagram. Given all the crossers, I was (surprisingly) able to guess the solution, though I needed to confirm it with Google.
Parsing of 7d is more complicated, that was strictly a Google thing for me. Brendan parsed it near the top of the thread.
88 of 107  -   Report This Post

jennaralissima

1st October 2022, 21:17
Thanks, geeker. And, yes, chrise, this was simpler than most prize crosswords but 2D, even though I have all the crossers, know what the anagram is, and know the ending, thanks to jazzgirl, continues to elude me. I've plugged in several variations into Google and got nothing so I guess if I just kept on going I'd get it eventually but instead I'm just going to forget it and wait for the solution to be published.

So, if 2D is just another Wikipedia lookup clue then what's the point? I'd rather the solutions be reasonably well-known words in the English language that are craftily clued than anagrams that you plug into a website. Where's the challenge in that?
89 of 107  -   Report This Post

paradigmshifter

1st October 2022, 21:19
2D is Welsh not English, hence the alternative spelling option.
90 of 107  -   Report This Post