CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jazzgirl

1st October 2022, 16:51
Is E being used for note then. Not on the musical scale or am I losing the plot
71 of 107  -   Report This Post

micky

1st October 2022, 16:51
Yes, Jazzgirl. We have a choice between a "small" which is not the usual one, or a spelling of "note" which is not the usual one. Both methods work, and as I've already said we can't know which Maskerade intended.
72 of 107  -   Report This Post

paradigmshifter

1st October 2022, 16:55
Where I come from E is on the musical scale, between D# and F ;)
73 of 107  -   Report This Post

micky

1st October 2022, 16:56
It is VERY common in crossword clues for "note" to mean one of A, B, C, D, E, F, G, which are the usual names for absolute musical notes in English speaking countries, in contrast to doh, re, mi, etc, which in English refer to notes relative to the scale which is in use. (Unlike some other languages, such as French, which uses do, re, mi etc for absolute notes.)
74 of 107  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

1st October 2022, 16:56
OK so E on the piano keyboard for instance. I am finally with you.
Sm is not shown in the BRB for small but maybe in sizes for clothes.
75 of 107  -   Report This Post

chrise

1st October 2022, 16:58
I suspect that "me" was the intended note, from the appalling Sound of music song - often seen.
76 of 107  -   Report This Post

paradigmshifter

1st October 2022, 17:00
One of Hawkwind's best albums though I think, and the first one featuring Lemmy.
77 of 107  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

1st October 2022, 17:06
I have to agree with Chris.
78 of 107  -   Report This Post

quisling

1st October 2022, 17:17
It’s unknowable which was intended, so it doesn’t really matter. As it happens, I favour s for small, because sm isn’t in Chambers
79 of 107  -   Report This Post

jennaralissima

1st October 2022, 18:54
Well, I do rather tend to think that posting here simply to say that the crossword was so easy that you solved it in no time at all does not add any value whatsoever to this forum and I wish those that do so would just STOP NOW. If I were moderator, all such posts would be deleted.

But how are we to use this forum? When does a hint become a spoiler?

2D - since I'm stuck on that one please, if it does not end in 'shire' please just post a Yes or No.

7D is just a Wikipedia lookup clue and spoils the crossword. Possibly 2D is the same?
80 of 107  -   Report This Post