CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

brendan

17th September 2022, 01:17
I had a pretty slow start to this week's Prize by the ever-popular Paul - that's not to say it was overly difficult, just that it took me a fair while to get on his wavelength.

My FOI (First One In) was 12a followed by 20a.

If you do get stuck there is at least one anagram and at least one hidden.

I didn't notice any Pauline (Paul's more risque alter-ego) clues although 25a might possibly qualify.

Another point of note was in 5a, where I remember in a recent Prize there was an answer that was a more 'modern' version of this and it prompted a fair bit of discussion - not least over the definition.

COD (Clue Of the Day) - I do like 5a but my clear winner is the excellent 10a:-)

Thanks to Paul for a witty and entertaining puzzle.

It's been good to see new posters joining our friendly Prize blog - it's always interesting to hear the views of others and, as always, if you do get stuck - don't hesitate to ask for a hint.

Stay safe:-)
1 of 64  -   Report This Post

brendan

17th September 2022, 01:25
17d - I'm not at all sure I understand this?
2 of 64  -   Report This Post

geeker

17th September 2022, 01:28
Brendan,

Very much in agreement. I also took a while to get going (am usually on Paul's wavelength) but can't say the puzzle was particularly tough. Thanks to Paul, several unusual and witty constructions.
Agreed on 10 as clear COD! Also liked 7, 5a, 28, 23, 17, 4, 6 and 1d - lots of good clues, some tricky.
Also concur on lack of Paulines with 25 the only possibility.

Glad you started the thread! I kicked it off last week, but it proved a dud with few responses. 😬
3 of 64  -   Report This Post

geeker

17th September 2022, 01:30
17 is witty: parses as 3, 4, 1 with the (3, 4) = "where one has located". In my top tier of COD candidates.
4 of 64  -   Report This Post

geeker

17th September 2022, 01:31
Oops, meant "relocated" above.
5 of 64  -   Report This Post

brendan

17th September 2022, 01:43
17d - I get it now:-)

Hi Geeker,

Not at all, I read your blog and all the post and very much enjoyed them. I think much of the UK shut down following the death of the Queen and feel sure it affected the number of people doing the crossword - I know my sister and her publisher were in two minds whether or not to call off her book launch.

Speaking of which. as we were driving towards Bath we saw some police outriders coming towards us from the opposite direction and a couple of helicopters hovering over a purple(ish) Rolls Royce (or Bentley) and it was none other than King Charles himself! I say "we saw" but my brother and I were watching YouTube videos on our phones and completely missed it!

PS What do you make of the Carlsen/Niemann debacle?
6 of 64  -   Report This Post

geeker

17th September 2022, 02:08
Brendan, the forum's been quiet of late. I think a combination of ER and late summer.

I don't know what to think about the MC-Niemann thing. MC doesn't come off well IMO. But HN's history of cheating in online events is ugly.

I really doubt Hans cheated in the game in question. But there has been a high-profile cheating scandal at the Chess Olympiad, shocking story at https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2011/apr/01/france-grandmasters-suspended-suspicion-cheating , so it's not as unlikely as I first thought.
7 of 64  -   Report This Post

rocky7

17th September 2022, 08:53
Paul does divide opinion. I'd say thus far this is on the easier side but some brilliant clues. Too many to mention.

I'm nearly there but I can't parse 26a if my answer is right.

Beware another colloquialisms for 25a. I wrote it straight in then spent ages trying to parse it before getting the right one.
8 of 64  -   Report This Post

bigjack

17th September 2022, 09:14
I smiled when the parsing for 10a struck me. My COD.
For 5a, the Keaton involved was only my third choice, so it took a while to dawn.
I too struggle to parse 26a - a hint, anyone?
9 of 64  -   Report This Post

chrise

17th September 2022, 09:17
I've wizzed through but am now stuck in the NE. Could I have a pointer to 5a, please? Is it a film Keaton; if so which one (there are several to choose from!)?
Also missing 6d and 8d, and have a tentative unparsed answer for 10a.
10 of 64  -   Report This Post