CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

drjax

17th September 2022, 11:05
As a soon-to-be 14 I didn’t think see it as misogyny as I got 14 from the definition plus crossers before 1d or 4 and only got those by recognising the anagrind for what it was. I also don’t think the witty surface of the clue for 10a works as well without the ‘is it’. Enjoyable puzzle imo.
21 of 64  -   Report This Post

bagheera33

17th September 2022, 11:48
About half-way through this week's puzzle.. enjoying it so far

I have a general question for the forum:

if crosswords basically are an elaborate game of verbal hide and seek, the setter using imaginative, ingenious, and witty ways to disguise the answer, and the solver using various techniques and strategies to light upon it, I was wondering how far others go in using the internet to help to slowly reveal the solution - seeing as the joy of solving (the famous pdm) can be diluted by heavier hints, how do others use thesaurus sites, anagram helpers or google in general to help when stuck? (aside from this excellent forum of course :)
22 of 64  -   Report This Post

birder

17th September 2022, 11:48
Finally finished
COD definitely 10a
FOI 11a
LOI 5a the first five words helps if you are not too au fait with films. I think that 5d is an alternative spelling. A very enjoyable crossword
23 of 64  -   Report This Post

geeker

17th September 2022, 12:49
Bagheera33, I don't us thesaurus sites or anagram helpers.
I consider a puzzle a friendly battle of wordplay wits between the solver and myself; sometimes I lose.

But I do use Google in cases where I lack the necessary GK (general knowledge). I justify that by telling myself that the sporting aspect pertains to wordplay and GK can be an impassable obstacle. For instance, I'm American and never heard of SPION KOP, an occasional but infrequent solution that popped up recently. Definitely had to Google it the first time; since then I may be able to complete it from crossers but likely Google to confirm. And for some themes (e.g. Tintin, works of unfamiliar British dramatists) I'd never come close w/o Google.
24 of 64  -   Report This Post

rocky7

17th September 2022, 13:08
I will use Google in particular if my general knowledge is lacking. If I know how a clue works but I'm struggling for an alternative word I will also use a Thesaurus sometimes though strangely enough they don't often reveal the right word. I think that's because setters tend to be deliberately obtuse.
25 of 64  -   Report This Post

castafiore

17th September 2022, 13:13
Thanks, jazz girl.
26 of 64  -   Report This Post

castafiore

17th September 2022, 13:28
The 4 1 down part of the clue plays to the outdated misogynist stereotype. Not sure why Paul thought it an amusing idea to resurrect this. Might not have troubled to get on the forum and mention this, were it not for the co-presence of the offensive 25a.
27 of 64  -   Report This Post

rocky7

17th September 2022, 13:41
I'm glad you did Castafiore because I only saw 4 and 1 together as the anagram and genuinely didn't make the connection. But I agree this is lazy from Paul.
28 of 64  -   Report This Post

castafiore

17th September 2022, 15:00
Thanks, Rocky7.
29 of 64  -   Report This Post

snowwhite

17th September 2022, 15:56
25 is old phrase from at least 19th century. Slang and wouldn't be used now, but I don't find it offensive.

He's using clever word play for 14 etc. Tongue in cheek surely.

This is one of the milder Paul crosswords. It's his style.

30 of 64  -   Report This Post