CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

paradigmshifter

17th September 2022, 19:33
Never mind, worked out the parsing of it now.
41 of 64  -   Report This Post

minno

17th September 2022, 20:37
Well, my last clue was 18a. I Never heard that phrase in my life. So when I googled it I was genuinely surprised. I wonder what else is out there. That's one thing Google can't tell you.
42 of 64  -   Report This Post

chrise

17th September 2022, 20:46
The more I look at this, the more I think that the clue for 10a and the solution for 25a are inappropriate for the Guardian. I think I won't bother with any more Paul puzzles - he always seems to irritate me, one way or another.
43 of 64  -   Report This Post

micky

17th September 2022, 22:04
I found this puzzle remarkably easy, and filled in all the solutions it in less time than I have done for a guardian Saturday Prize puzzle in ages. However, there is just one clue for which I know the solution, but I really don't know. Interestingly, it's one which has scarcely been mentioned by anyone else, so presumably I'm alone in finding it difficult. It's 5d. Can anyone help? I have a guess what "with nothing left to tuck in" probably means, but apart from that I can't get anywhere near to understanding the word play. Even cheating by asking my wife for help didn't work.
44 of 64  -   Report This Post

micky

17th September 2022, 22:06
Unfortunately I didn't proofread my post above before posting it. "I really don't know" should have said "I really don't know why". Also, of course, the word "it" in the first sentence shouldn't be there.
45 of 64  -   Report This Post

brendan

17th September 2022, 22:08
Hi Micky,

5d - 4 letter "stout" goes around 3 letter "with" + single letter "nothing" and single letter "left" - definition is "belt".
46 of 64  -   Report This Post

micky

17th September 2022, 22:12
Thanks, Brendan. I now realise I got so close, but just missed it. I did think of the right word for "stout", and I got "nothing", "left", and "tucked in", but amazingly I didn't get "with", despite the fact that it's a really straightforward use, which I must have seen many times in crossword clues. I must have been half asleep.
47 of 64  -   Report This Post

brendan

17th September 2022, 22:14
Thanks Micky, it is easy to miss those words like "with", "at" and "in" etc. - they tend to blend into the background.
48 of 64  -   Report This Post

jennaralissima

17th September 2022, 23:24
Everyone loves 10A but I have no clue!
Perhaps a small hint?

Also 5A (I actually look at the list of Keaton films and don't see one that fits - could I possibly have 5D wrong?), 8D, and for 13D I have the crossers and it seems obvious but (so far) cannot parse it to save my life - yes, I'm that awful at Paul!

Thank you.
49 of 64  -   Report This Post

brendan

17th September 2022, 23:33
Hi Jennaralissima,

5a - the 6 letter "Keaton film" goes around "slapstick originally" - definition is "chap keen to stay in" (think 'sport')

10a - the definition is "tasty little French thing" (a food) but if you read it 3,3,3 it could be someone telling their "Hubby (t0) pack your bags"

8d - 3 letter "fastener" + 4 letter "top" and single letter "new" - definition is "dark colour"

13d - 2 letter "that man" goes inside 2 letter "taxicab on vacation" and that all goes inside 6 letter slang term for "wife" - definition is "fail to grasp opportunity"
50 of 64  -   Report This Post