CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

brendan

18th June 2022, 01:14
Paul has given us a themed puzzle this week and, I have to say, my heat sank when I realised what it was! I know next to nothing about this person or his "creations".

Still, Google was able to provide a list so then it was just a matter of matching up the titles with the wordplay and enumeration.

FOI was 9a but my first themed answer was 1d, but I only got that with the help of a word-search engine.

Some very devious cluing by Paul should provide quite a challenge for most solvers, at least that was the case for me.

If you do get stuck, there is at least one anagram in both the downs and acrosses.

8d for example, has "encourage" and "smooth" that might not be too problematic but I wonder how many will see "commonplace"? I know Geeker, out American friend, generally has no problems with UK centric words and phrases but I'll be interested to see what he makes of that.

The only clues I can't parse are 22a and, ironically, 7d!

COD - A tie between 25a and 17d.

Thanks to Paul for a very challenging workout:-)

As always, if you get stuck - don't hesitate to ask for a hint.

Stay safe:-)
1 of 98  -   Report This Post

brendan

18th June 2022, 01:22
Ha, just seen 22a and I think I get 7d - Hurrah 😜
2 of 98  -   Report This Post

geeker

18th June 2022, 01:33
Hi Brendan,

8 was a write-in for me because I'd seen the theme, but yes, Google was required just as you describe!
I'm not certain of parsing of 7. Could be that I lack the GK, being out of touch with popular culture. :-)

Thanks to Paul for an enjoyable Prize, slightly more difficult than the norm but less fiendish than Paul can be.
I've seen this theme in at least one crossword and am quite familiar with it (being a boomer), but the defining clue is a bit obscure and I deduced the theme from the linked entries.

FOI 9, the first clue I looked at, the first 1/3 of the puzzle went quickly but it then slowed.
LOI 7, ironically.
Many fine clues, COD 5 by a nose over 25 (exceptionally clever), 17d and 6. Also liked 2, 21, (23,3) 18, 15 and 26. 27 feels a bit forced but includes a tricky misdirect.
Sadly I didn't see any obvious off-colo(u)r entries.
3 of 98  -   Report This Post

brendan

18th June 2022, 01:38
Hi Geeker,

8d is the only one I was familiar with, in as much as I know the title!

7d - I think I spoke too soon. I can see the definition but not how it's arrived at. I'm toying with the idea that "doubled up" refers to Roman numerals but, so far, it's yielded nothing.

25a - Agree, very devious!
4 of 98  -   Report This Post

brendan

18th June 2022, 01:41
7d - Ah! I get it now - if you repeat the answer (doubled-up) it gives you the intro of many jokes.
5 of 98  -   Report This Post

geeker

18th June 2022, 01:42
Brendan, my guess for 7 is that if you double (repeat) the solution something of "funny" cultural/GK import is obtained.
6 of 98  -   Report This Post

brendan

18th June 2022, 01:43
Our posts crossed. I'm sure that's what Paul is getting at.
7 of 98  -   Report This Post

mathprofrockstar

18th June 2022, 02:54
Miraculously, I finished a Paul puzzle, but I still can’t parse 24, 25, or 8.
8 of 98  -   Report This Post

brendan

18th June 2022, 02:59
Hi MPRS,

24a - Look closely at "some kind" and "denim's ok" and you'll get your answer.

25a - 3 letter "file" inside 4 letter "or" (you have think laterally with this) - definition is "head for the exit"?

8d - 3 letter "encourage" + 4 letter "smooth" both inside 8 letter "commonplace" (again, you have to think laterally with this last bit)
9 of 98  -   Report This Post

mathprofrockstar

18th June 2022, 04:27
Thanks, brendan. I thought 24a must be something like that, but just didn't see it for some reason. Still not getting the others. I shall ponder some more. I saw the encourage and smooth in 8d, but I don't see commonplace at all. I quote the work all the time to my teenage daughter who insists she doesn't like most foods, though she's never tried them.
10 of 98  -   Report This Post