CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

malone

17th June 2022, 15:57
THE CLUES
Requests for help should normally include the clue itself, the number of letters in the answer, and details of any you already have. Any additional information or special instructions should be included too.
NB Hints only should be give, no answers please.

THE THEME
Requests may be made here for GENTLE NUDGES only towards the theme. GENTLE is tough to define, of course - but it should be enough to help, not enough to give away too much. Please do not reveal the theme under any circumstances.

Early finishers should avoid any allusions - jocular or otherwise - to the theme.
The Listener is a unique puzzle, so let's continue to treat it with respect..

COMPLAINTS ABOUT POSTS GIVING TOO MUCH AWAY
If any member of the Forum thinks that a post gives away too much, could you please say so in the Listener thread BEFORE emailing Admin about the matter.

This trial approach has come about because Admin have received a complaint from a member of the Forum who is concerned about Admin’s ‘censorship’ of posts when we get emails saying that they reveal too much about the Theme and other matters. For further details, please see thread headed "Listener - New Approach on Email Complaints” dated 10 June.

1 of 64  -   Report This Post

brendan

18th June 2022, 07:37
Well, I have a full grid and all the extra letters but, for the life of me, I cannot see how they define one of the ring entries - this is going to take some serious thought!
2 of 64  -   Report This Post

hotelwhiskey7

18th June 2022, 07:56
It’s literally a literal definition; probably the only one you wouldn’t know anyway.

Will make sense of the concentric rings, as per preamble.
3 of 64  -   Report This Post

brendan

18th June 2022, 08:00
OMG! Thanks HW, I hadn't even looked at the definition for that word - how stupid of me 🤬
4 of 64  -   Report This Post

jordan

18th June 2022, 10:06
That made for a very pleasant surprise - getting about 20 extra letters in one hit!

I just have a mental block with 37 and 38 and can make no sense of either.
5 of 64  -   Report This Post

candledave

18th June 2022, 10:54
37 - def is at end. Unusual word for a bridge signal casing “with”

38 - love warble is def. First letter is dialectal for “he”
6 of 64  -   Report This Post

simond9x

18th June 2022, 11:26
All done except 8. I also have answers for 27 and 31 where I can see the definition but not the full wordplay. Nudges would be welcome, thank you
7 of 64  -   Report This Post

hotelwhiskey7

18th June 2022, 12:08
Six-letter (obv) opera by Verdi. Possibly easier to get from (fair) wordplay than general knowledge…
8 of 64  -   Report This Post

simond9x

18th June 2022, 12:15
Thanks, hw7. Not one I've heard of. His more famous one with 7 letters is one of my favourites.
9 of 64  -   Report This Post

jordan

18th June 2022, 13:01
Thank you CD . I had incorrectly put an "O" as the common penultimate letter at some point and there it stayed until you popped by.

All I need now is a hint to determine the ambiguous (to me) 5th letter of 27
10 of 64  -   Report This Post