CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

furrowedbrow

20th June 2022, 13:53
Thanks. Got it! Had one of those blocks we all get from time to time. Crisis averted!
51 of 64  -   Report This Post

jif73

20th June 2022, 17:07
At the risk of tempting fate for next week's offering, that was a pretty easy fill for a — what I like to call — "dartboard" grid, with only 'innie' and 'outie' radials and no 'cycled' or 'jumbled' ones.
But I miss the days when the number of radials was a multiple of four, making it completely obvious for all radials which inner-ring cell belonged to it. To make the puzzle a little more difficult for myself, I was fixated on 37 sharing the same inner-ring cell as 38 rather than 36, thus not being able to find a word to fit and making me doubt the first letter of 44 ringwise. (I also kept looking at "The Ace of Hearts" and wondering what that title had to do with the puzzle!)

One little niggle. "From the east" works as a reversal indicator for an across clue; for radial 13, "From the north-west" would have been more appropriate, though not totally accurate!

[chrisremo (#42) "PDM moment"? That reminded me of the days when newsreaders used to refer to "SALT talks"!]
52 of 64  -   Report This Post

crates

20th June 2022, 22:08
Re 13A - Not being a standard grid - 'from the east' is to marry up the wordplay with the definition - how it is entered is a secondary problem ...
53 of 64  -   Report This Post

jif73

21st June 2022, 18:42
crates,
That is, of course, one way of looking at it. However, 'not being a standard grid', it was a great chance to replace the 'from the east' cliché with something a little more creative.
But as I said, it was a minor niggle. Well done, The Ace of Hearts. And thanks for introducing me — and, I suspect, may others — to the niche word at ring entry 40; sounds to me a bit like shooting fish in a barrel!
54 of 64  -   Report This Post

ionacarr

22nd June 2022, 14:31
I've only just finished this one (not too difficult, just a busy time) and am surprised that no one has asked about 34. That must mean it's obvious, but not to me. I thought the only apparent answer had more to do with broadcasting than banking.
55 of 64  -   Report This Post

buddy

22nd June 2022, 14:44
The last 4 words of the clue are just wordplay; a word meaning control is to "wall" (contain) the usual abbr. for street. Nothing to do with banking.
56 of 64  -   Report This Post

ionacarr

22nd June 2022, 16:11
Many thanks for the help. I'm not too keen on excessive subterfuge to create Container & Contents clues; and I have come across discussions - unresolved - of whether it is fair to use capital letters in wordplay if they're misleading.
57 of 64  -   Report This Post

candledave

22nd June 2022, 18:58
Iona - think it’s generally ok to confuse with capital letters with the exception of using lower case letters when proper nouns are required.
58 of 64  -   Report This Post

patch49

24th June 2022, 16:41
Before I embark on this week’s puzzle please could I have help with my last 2 answers of 4716.
19). Ultimately fail to shoot bird
And
20) Paste beginning from The Universe after document’s conclusion.
Thanks
59 of 64  -   Report This Post

mooncow

25th June 2022, 02:51
19) Def is last word: it’s a variant of a more common name; last letters of 2nd and 3rd words plus a slang synonym of the 4th word once the extra letter is removed.

20) A tricky parse this one. Def is first two words once the extra letter is removed, as it’s an obsolete word, actually hyphenated 2-4; last letter of 7th word then a phrase broadly meaning the 3rd, 4th and 5th words.
60 of 64  -   Report This Post