CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jif73

16th June 2022, 16:21
Thnx, dsc and pootle. I couldn't get past "spot of roe" being R!
111 of 148  -   Report This Post

crowdedmorning

16th June 2022, 21:19
Really struggling with this one... 30-something answers confidently solved; a handful more of speculative definition-only guesses; and only a few pencilled-in grid entries, with relatively low confidence.

Any nudges welcome on the following:

"Drug needles..."
"One from Thurso..."
"South Burmese title" (I have two possible definition-and-wordplay answers for this one, each of which fits the alphabetisation limitations, somehow)
"Fit head of household's..." (I have wordplay as well as definition for this one but my interpretation of "accidents" is extremely tenuous so I suspect it's wrong)

Apologies if this is too much questioning!
112 of 148  -   Report This Post

useby

16th June 2022, 21:25
Chrisremo, my hint for the drug needles would be to look up ‘siege’
113 of 148  -   Report This Post

pootle

16th June 2022, 21:55
@chrisremo
One from Thurso = Scottish for one. Definition = tiger, perhaps. Relates to its predatory nature.
Fit head of household - fit is the definition. Remove head of household and the extra letter from a word for accidents reversed.
I didn’t parse the South Burmese clue. Definition is axe.
114 of 148  -   Report This Post

crowdedmorning

16th June 2022, 22:15
Thanks much, useby and pootle. Sadly only confirms my "fit head."

I was apparently on the wrong track with "One from Thurso" and "Drug needles," will have to go back to the drawing board on those.

Useby, re: sieges—That was an idea I had at one point, and my strongest suspicion was around an avian usage, which led to a lot of googling but I couldn't find anything useful so eventually gave up on that line of pursuit.

Pootle, re: South Burmese—My potential answers also use "axe" as definition. They follow the same track, perhaps this will help you (or demonstrate why my answers are in fact wrong!):

South is the usual. Burmese title is a single letter, best known for its use by a former UN Secretary General. The title is enclosed by "bit". I have several candidates for this word, depending on what the discarded letter is; they ultimately result in one of two answers, each of which plausibly means "axe." The most promising candidate has an equine usage, but I'm slightly sceptical because it would make the excess letter redundant in a way that nullifies an entire component of the wordplay, and I'm not sure if that's kosher.
115 of 148  -   Report This Post

crowdedmorning

16th June 2022, 22:19
(Ah, just got "One from Thurso", cheers pootle.)
116 of 148  -   Report This Post

useby

16th June 2022, 23:28
chrisremo, bang on with your strongest suspicion!
117 of 148  -   Report This Post

pootle

17th June 2022, 06:17
@chrisremo
Think of a well known drug that is a bird with an extra letter in.
The “axe” definition relates to doctors’ clothing.
118 of 148  -   Report This Post

crowdedmorning

17th June 2022, 08:52
Pootle and useby—thanks, that confirmed my suspected working re "axe", and got me "drug needles." Annoyed at myself for not having found the latter, but I suppose as with many Listener answers and wordplay components, it's a hard word to simply stumble upon!
119 of 148  -   Report This Post

jordan

17th June 2022, 09:44
Chris, the "bit" in the axe clue is covered by the 2nd 3rd and 5th letters of the answer around an extra letter "u"
120 of 148  -   Report This Post