CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

buzzb

13th June 2022, 19:41
I have the answer but the wordplay to the 'One in four rowing' clue is eluding me.
71 of 148  -   Report This Post

buzzb

13th June 2022, 19:43
Merenz, you are missing several non-replaced letters
72 of 148  -   Report This Post

quisling

13th June 2022, 19:45
Drxx makes an excellent point. Digits could be excluded from any letter count. I think your grid is probably right if you have the line by line message, Merenz.

Buzzb, the clue uses a metonym for rower, I.e their implement. The first letter is extra
73 of 148  -   Report This Post

merenz

13th June 2022, 19:48
Thank you quisling, drxx and buzzb. This is most helpful. I’m firing up Excel and I’m going in again
74 of 148  -   Report This Post

drxx

13th June 2022, 19:48
And the wine is a collection (3 letters) after 'a(bout)'.
75 of 148  -   Report This Post

buzzb

13th June 2022, 19:49
Thanks quisling, though I don't see why 'one of four' needs to be there.
76 of 148  -   Report This Post

quisling

13th June 2022, 19:56
Granted, Buzzb. Perhaps to satisfy his other clue constraints?
77 of 148  -   Report This Post

granama1

13th June 2022, 21:39
LOL. I have nurdled, battered and bludgeoned my way through this. Cold solved 36 clues before the penny dropped that the 3 letter answers actually lead to something significant re the 4 letter ones and started the grid fill...which helped create a full grid. I have the messages - every letter....and I don't have a clue what they're supposed to mean, after applying the first one from the double letters.

Having got that far, my interest dwindled. 😕
78 of 148  -   Report This Post

drxx

13th June 2022, 22:28
If you decide to go on, granama1, try reading the message with an apostrophe in the first of the repeated words and an apostrophe in the word immediately before the repeat - the next 3 words are for later.
79 of 148  -   Report This Post

useby

13th June 2022, 23:58
Well, that was unexpected!
I feel the lack of clue numbering was detrimental to my enjoyment of the puzzle. I had cold solved dozens before getting a foot in the door in the NE corner. Even then, it was a slog to get answers positioned. I wasn’t too put off by the messages and alterations in the end game, and then I came to appreciate the abstruse clues. The absence of various indicators didn’t really colour my opinion. Overall a good puzzle that was, I think, overly daunting at the outset.
80 of 148  -   Report This Post