CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

williamseal

13th June 2022, 16:26
Thx Brendan

I take it that’s a yes😁👌
61 of 148  -   Report This Post

brendan

13th June 2022, 18:28
God, in legend, holding part of church tower up (6)

I have the answer and definition (very cleverly disguised) but just cannot see the wordplay, despite having slept on it.
62 of 148  -   Report This Post

drxx

13th June 2022, 18:43
It's Norse legend, brendan (a short word + the obvious feature with a letter duplicated between the two).
63 of 148  -   Report This Post

drxx

13th June 2022, 18:44
...sorry, the duplicate is the last letter of the container.
64 of 148  -   Report This Post

brendan

13th June 2022, 18:53
Ah, I'd convinced myself "holding" was a containment indicator, although I'm still not sure what part that word plays - unless it means the last letter of the "God in legend" is held by "part of church", although, as you say, it's a duplicate.

Thank you Drxx, very much appreciated - I went to bed last night with about 5 or 6 clues unparsed but got all the others within 20 minutes this morning - this was the final hold out.
65 of 148  -   Report This Post

brendan

13th June 2022, 18:56
Sorry, our posts crossed - I see what you mean now.
66 of 148  -   Report This Post

merenz

13th June 2022, 18:58
I’m tearing my hair out with this puzzle now.

I’ve applied the replacement as per my interpretation of the message from the extra letters. It was looking good as these replacements were all cross-checking nicely… and then I hit some clashes (6 cells). I have checked them numerous times. My ‘letters that have no such replacement’ are gobbledegook. But I must’ve done something right as the row by row message makes sense and, I think, I’ve applied that correctly.

I appreciate it might be difficult to reply to this without revealing too much so, if that’s the case, don’t worry. Thank you all for letting me vent before potentially throwing in the towel.
67 of 148  -   Report This Post

quisling

13th June 2022, 19:09
Merenz, hard to work out where you’ve gone wrong if your message makes sense. You say it starts well and then you hit some clashes. Does your gobbledegook not even start with something that might develop into a word? How many letters that have no such replacement do you have?
68 of 148  -   Report This Post

drxx

13th June 2022, 19:30
merenz, did you notice there are some numbers amongst the letters of the clues?
69 of 148  -   Report This Post

merenz

13th June 2022, 19:31
Thank you Quisling. I’ve got 10 letters that have no such replacement and I’m struggling to see any semblance of the beginnings of a word. I think I might start a fresh grid or, quelle horreur, open up Excel
70 of 148  -   Report This Post