CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

chrise

28th May 2022, 18:11
I can see all the elements in 21d, but I'm not convinced that the clue works!
51 of 72  -   Report This Post

rocky7

28th May 2022, 18:42
Chris I thought the same. Basically it's all there but a tad clunky.
52 of 72  -   Report This Post

geeker

28th May 2022, 18:50
I enjoy the general idea of 21 ("meshing" of components), and have considered employing the device for Clueless and Peer Review entries, but could never find a reasonable way of conveying it. So I liked Brendan's effort.
53 of 72  -   Report This Post

roof

28th May 2022, 19:08
Thanks Chris for your explanation. That's what I thought. Meanwhile I retreated to our west facing sitting room and promptly fell asleep. It has been a busy week. I think I may give up soon.

But first I must tell you all of the magnificent garden I went to on Thursday with my U3A group. If you are in Devon, then please consider visiting Burrow Farm Gardens, near Axminster. Free to RHS members on a Friday. Admittedly, it was a lovely day, but the gardens were lovely too and we ended the day at the tea rooms where tea/coffee and cakes were in abundance. They sell plants too.

That's my excuse for not getting on with the crossword this week.

I've got a glass of wine and I'll see if that brings any elucidation.

What about a hint for 13d
54 of 72  -   Report This Post

chrise

28th May 2022, 20:03
Hi roof
13d is 5 letter "bad journalists" round 5 letter "states" (as a verb). Very loosely "luggage".
I'm from Devon originally, and know several fine gardens, though not Burrow Farm. Have you been to the Garden House at Buckland Monachorum?
55 of 72  -   Report This Post

roof

28th May 2022, 20:59
Hi Chris

Yes, I went there a few years ago. Devon is packed with fine gardens.

Thanks for your hint about 13d. Inevitably, I got the answer soon after I posted. I've now got most of the top half filled in, but not much in the bottom half.

I've got 14ac, but not 20ac and similarly for 11,23 and 8,26. I don't understand 22d. I thought 16d was an anagram of economist without the o, the definition being a south american currency. Am I right? Similarly, I thought 19d began with r, but I cannot get the news and house (in?) for aired again in TV (the definition?) and 18d eludes me. I have C???N? ??
56 of 72  -   Report This Post

mystogre

28th May 2022, 21:20
Hi Roof,
20a means the same as 14a - I got it from the crossers.
11 & 23 are anagrams where only the first 4 letters change order.
8 & 26 x the players play chess. The second word in each has the letters indicating “that is” with a different Roman numeral.
You are correct with 16d.
19d does start with “r”, then news is anagram fodder and a two letter abbreviation for house.
Your letters are correct in 18d. Hard cash is usually one of these in your pocket and a Chinese dynasty is stuck in the middle.
Have fun.
57 of 72  -   Report This Post

chrise

28th May 2022, 21:20
Hi again Roof
I haven't fully parsed 20a, but it's another word for "turn away". 11 and 23, because of the clueing, are anagrams of each other, but the definitions are rather loose. 8 and 26 both refer to chess. 16d yes. 19d yes - anagram. 18 very famous porcelain inside "hard currency".

Part of our garden we refer to as "Knightshayes" because of the planting, especially the dog's tooth violets!
58 of 72  -   Report This Post

geeker

28th May 2022, 21:28
20 parses as 1, 7 where 1=European, 7=foreign.
59 of 72  -   Report This Post

chrise

28th May 2022, 21:29
Thanks geeker - I had the first 3 letters rather than the first.
60 of 72  -   Report This Post