CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

rocky7

28th May 2022, 16:15
Back from travels from what I would loosely describe as the Plymouth of Italy. But with a lot more history.

I had the whole of the top half done and filled in the rest but can't say any of it came easily. But I enjoyed it if only for the novelty of Brendan's clue pairing which I also thought was very clever.

FOI 10a although I didn't know it was the right one until everything else fitted in to place later.

COD probably 15,17 which I would never have understood without Geeker's help.
41 of 72  -   Report This Post

eagle

28th May 2022, 16:30
Coming a bit late to the conversation and hopefully this does not act as a spoiler but with reference to your comment which appears as number 17 on this thread Brendan yes they did (especially George) and more (see Track 1 Side 2 of Sergeant Pepper for example);
42 of 72  -   Report This Post

rocky7

28th May 2022, 16:37
Which, Eagle, a lot of people say is the worst track on the album but I really disagree.
43 of 72  -   Report This Post

roof

28th May 2022, 17:18
Hi everyone

I understand the theme or device, but not finding it easy again. I started late as usual and then read through a few clues early afternoon. Couldn't understand them so decided to garden instead. I'd lots of planting to do. It's a lovely day here, but the garden is so dry - we need rain.

Came back to crossword and decided to concentrate on the down clues, but still only got two. Just got 12ac as well (or is it 22?). Can I just clarify that the whole clue for the paired clues is used for both answers?

Brendan, I've tried but cannot the long anagram in the downs. I think I'm losing too many brain cells these days
44 of 72  -   Report This Post

chrise

28th May 2022, 17:25
Hi roof
The across clues all have two possible answers; where they fit depends on the down clues.
6d is an anagram, and there are other subtractive or compound anagram too.
I was very disappointed by my wife on 6d! I knew there was a word for the gap in the cranium, but I couldn't remember what it was. I asked her - a retired doctor - and all she could come up with was "suture"...
45 of 72  -   Report This Post

minno

28th May 2022, 17:55
Stuck on 21d and 23a. Is 23a the same parsing as its twin?
46 of 72  -   Report This Post

geeker

28th May 2022, 18:01
23 is parsed similarly to its twin; the first 4 letters of the twin (11) are permuted.
47 of 72  -   Report This Post

minno

28th May 2022, 18:02
As often, got 23a as soon as I had posted.
48 of 72  -   Report This Post

geeker

28th May 2022, 18:05
21: defn "even", solution constructed in an unusual (to me) way from pieces of length 2 and 4 ("insect").
49 of 72  -   Report This Post

minno

28th May 2022, 18:07
Thanks Geeker. 21d easy with additional letter. Unusual device, but not sus...sus...sus...suspect device!
50 of 72  -   Report This Post