CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

geeker

7th May 2022, 00:54
Thanks to Vlad for this week's Prize challenge. Many witty and surprising clues that were not straightforward to parse.
I find Vlad one of the most difficult Grauniad setters (save Enigmatist and Maskarade), but he seems to have been gentle here: at or slightly below median difficulty (IMO) for a Prize but distinctly easy by V.'s standards.

FOI 2, LOI and COD 3. COD runners-up 16 and 28, long list included 25, 18, 15, 17 and 19.
Google needed to confirm parsing of three clues.
No theme or gimmick feature that I can see, but I rarely spot them and won't be surprised if I missed a theme.

Curious about other posters' impressions. I found the last two Prize puzzles difficult, but many other solvers sailed through them.
1 of 59  -   Report This Post

paulnz

7th May 2022, 05:42
Hi Geeker,
I've only recently progressed from Everyman & got put off Vlad after my first attempt. However I found this very do-able and fun. Even where I lacked the GK they were able to be worked our from the wordplay & a quick google to confirm. Just stuck on the two short 12 & 24 which I'll probably kick myself for.
2 of 59  -   Report This Post

rocky7

7th May 2022, 08:02
I always find Vlad tough and so far this is no exception. Took ages to get started largely because I'd never heard of an 11a before and I got bogged down in it. I'm about half done and there are some cracking clues already. The 8,7 and 21,22 link is superb.

But I have a few like 13d and 5d where I have answers that fit but no idea if they are right from the clue.
3 of 59  -   Report This Post

rocky7

7th May 2022, 08:05
OK I have 5d. I was right and have worked out the parsing finally. Very enjoyable this I think.
4 of 59  -   Report This Post

jono

7th May 2022, 08:25
Very good I thought. Enjoyed the connection between 8/7 and 21/22. Last one to parse was 13d but finally figured it out
5 of 59  -   Report This Post

rocky7

7th May 2022, 10:17
So I really enjoyed this. Some tough words I didn't know and I still can't parse 19d assuming it's right. I get a green tick on a Saturday even with a wrong answer. I've tested it.

COD 8,7 and 21,22 for me as a joint offering. LOI 19d.

Thanks to Vlad for some really clever and sometimes unusual clues and all in all a great puzzle.
6 of 59  -   Report This Post

jono

7th May 2022, 10:24
Hi Ricky, 19d is three letters for sister and three letters hidden in a word from the clue. Interesting you have that experience with the tick. I only get one with a correct grid. As soon as I enter a wrong letter the tick goes. I think this has been commented on before. Very odd.
7 of 59  -   Report This Post

jono

7th May 2022, 10:28
*Rocky, sorry! It autocorrects to ‘Ricky’ every time.

I did think 27a was particularly tricky given it’s the less common spelling of a fairly obscure word and the wordplay is an anagram that requires both subtraction and the use of an abbreviation
8 of 59  -   Report This Post

rocky7

7th May 2022, 10:44
Yes Jono. Agree 27 was a tough one too. 19d became obvious as soon I posted. I also spent ages on what I thought was an anagram on 18a. That's why I felt this was a clever puzzle in the way it took you down roads that were red herrings. But fair.
9 of 59  -   Report This Post

brendan

7th May 2022, 11:17
An excellent puzzle by Vlad from whom, as Geeker suggested, we've come to expect more brutal crosswords, so this was a pleasant surprise.

COD - a close run thing but I'm going for 16d.

Thanks to Vlad and Geeker.

Stay safe:-)
10 of 59  -   Report This Post