CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

janusz

7th May 2022, 13:19
foi 1d, i disliked 18a and 24d, cod 4d.
11 of 59  -   Report This Post

jono

7th May 2022, 14:43
I’ve just been reminded of the theme of the prize puzzle this time last year. Set by “Bogus” (a collaboration of setters who I don’t think have made an appearance since) in celebration of something practised on the first Saturday in May! 🥶
12 of 59  -   Report This Post

paradigmshifter

7th May 2022, 17:00
Challenging today, took me ages to get started, finished now though. Was a good puzzle. Never heard of 11, 27 or 19 before.

Clue of the day was 21, 22 for, me very good.
Nice maths word for 14.
4 was funny as well :)

Last one in was 27 luckily it was listed as a synonym in thesaurus.com.
13 of 59  -   Report This Post

paradigmshifter

7th May 2022, 17:11
I was not a fan of 3D despite it being a clever double definition, cos of the "glasses" part of the clue, which I do remember seeing somewhere before but it's a bit cheeky that one.
14 of 59  -   Report This Post

geeker

7th May 2022, 17:36
The "glasses" device in 3 is not extremely unusual, I've seen it quite a few times over the years. 3 wound up my COD, not so much due to "glasses" (spotted right away) but a tricky "Washington" misdirect (which rendered it also LOI).
15 of 59  -   Report This Post

paradigmshifter

7th May 2022, 17:41
Did the proper (in my opinion, although the OED uses -IZE a lot too) spellings of 25 and 15 throw you (you're from the US I believe)?

I work in computer games so there's always 2 different spellings of 25 knocking around in the code somewhere (I always spell it the 25 way but all the libraries have it the -IZE way) ;) We've admitted defeat with COLOR though :(
16 of 59  -   Report This Post

geeker

7th May 2022, 17:45
No, I managed to navigate the spelling issue. I've been doing British cryptics for a long time and (by now) hardly ever slip up on that account.
17 of 59  -   Report This Post

paradigmshifter

7th May 2022, 17:49
I have to adjust the other way around because thesaurus.com (which I use as a thesaurus, obviously) has US spellings for everything, so I had to change ENAMOR into the correct spelling recently (Everyman last week I think that was, may have been the Prize though).
18 of 59  -   Report This Post

geeker

7th May 2022, 17:49
I'm occasionally surprised by Americanised spellings creeping into UK cryptics, which I'd have thought would be anathema to editors.
19 of 59  -   Report This Post

paradigmshifter

7th May 2022, 17:51
They usually indicate that though, with something like "as Americans would say". I'd not be happy if they didn't!

I play Scrabble as well though which allows US spellings (in the UK rules anyway).
20 of 59  -   Report This Post