CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

roof

30th October 2021, 20:46
Much to my amazement I have finished, though I'm not sure about the parsing for some. Where is the 6ac in 22d? There are several other clues with which I take issue. But I don't get a green tick using the grid in the paper.

Chris E, why were cooking curries?

My dinner is ready so must go.

91 of 113  -   Report This Post

paradigmshifter

30th October 2021, 20:54
See Brendan's post 16 explaining 22D to me, took me a while to work out what he meant though!

I had issues with some of the clues at first (see my first post, #9), but I resolved them all in the end, and I had 10A wrong also (but very close, being a pair of synonyms, one of which is more common in US English looks like, since it isn't in Chambers online, and the thesaurus site (American) I use doesn't list the UK English version and suggests the US one instead, confusing).

I agree that 8A hungry definition is a bit loose as well, and the spoonerism one I was not happy about!

92 of 113  -   Report This Post

minno

30th October 2021, 21:02
Just as an example of hammering pegs into holes, 8a...

Probater, (had eaten t)
93 of 113  -   Report This Post

paradigmshifter

30th October 2021, 21:12
That would make getting 3D much more difficult I expect! I should have seen the "bread" synonym of 3D earlier than I did (after I had filled everything in, ha ha). Googling 3D bread gives you 3D cake no questions or explanations given!
94 of 113  -   Report This Post

paradigmshifter

30th October 2021, 21:22
I should also mention that the wrong version of 10A is also in the title of an Ozric Tentacles compilation album, and they're from Somerset not the US. If it's good enough for the Ozric's then it's good enough for me!
95 of 113  -   Report This Post

tonystock

30th October 2021, 22:24
Hi Roof, 6 Across can mean a lot of things including “loser” , “ knobhead” ….I can go on…..
96 of 113  -   Report This Post

paradigmshifter

30th October 2021, 22:36
Paul should also learn some programming 6As, I'm sure he'd be able to think up a good clue for DEBUGGER.
97 of 113  -   Report This Post

brendan

30th October 2021, 22:41
I like it PS, it's got Pauline written all over it 😂
98 of 113  -   Report This Post

rocky7

30th October 2021, 23:00
Rather late on from my last post, I had 10a beginning with S and couldn't parse it. But I submitted and got a green tick on the app.

Now I realise from this forum that it is obviously a T beginning.

Word of caution. Green tick means nothing.
99 of 113  -   Report This Post

paradigmshifter

30th October 2021, 23:04
Can you change 1 (or more) non-crossing letter anywhere and still get the tick OR have they decided that both are acceptable for 10A I wonder? I wonder why it doesn't have the green tick on the website, when on weekdays they have check all, reveal all available as well.
100 of 113  -   Report This Post