CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

paradigmshifter

30th October 2021, 16:54
Yeah, T is definitely better, thinking about it.

I would hope if it was a fill in and send off for the prize entry they'd be flexible about it though ;)

Interestingly enough the thesaurus website I use only has the S version and it suggests that if you type in the T version! It only has the T version without the last letter.

The thesaurus site I use https://www.thesaurus.com/ is not great because it is American spellings :(. It also seems a tad non-PC if you look up synonyms of "Welsh" or "Scotch" ;)

Is there a better thesaurus site anyone would recommend?
71 of 113  -   Report This Post

brendan

30th October 2021, 16:57
Chambers specifically lists "coil" under the T word but not under the S.
72 of 113  -   Report This Post

paradigmshifter

30th October 2021, 17:04
They're synonyms of each other though so I'm surprised it doesn't mention that in both!

Online chambers doesn't have the S version at all! So it's the exact opposite of the thesaurus site!!!
73 of 113  -   Report This Post

geeker

30th October 2021, 17:05
I originally thought the incorrect "S" version was more Pauline because (US) it refers to a vile method of bullying I won't further describe...😬
74 of 113  -   Report This Post

paradigmshifter

30th October 2021, 17:22
Collins online is saying the S version is American English or Scottish.

It's interesting that the setters tend to use Chambers mainly but they used to give away the Collins dictionary as the prize IIRC. Or maybe it was the concise OED I can't remember.
75 of 113  -   Report This Post

havermonkey

30th October 2021, 18:19
I'm always fascinated by how differently folks minds work. I had the theme from 1 and 6a. Hasn't helped though, I've completed 3/4 but have a totally blank SW corner. I got the hints for 24a, am away to see if that helps!
76 of 113  -   Report This Post

paradigmshifter

30th October 2021, 18:24
If you're not from the UK you could struggle with 14D I think. "Newspaper" is a very loose definition although it's better than the Heil or the Express (which is more like a right wing comic to be fair).
77 of 113  -   Report This Post

paradigmshifter

30th October 2021, 18:26
And obviously we don't mention the S*n in and around Merseyside.
78 of 113  -   Report This Post

havermonkey

30th October 2021, 18:33
And done! Loved 21a and 13d. Absolutely no idea how to parse 12a? Or14d really but am just glad I didn't get completely stuck.
79 of 113  -   Report This Post

brendan

30th October 2021, 18:38
Hi HaverMonkey,

12a - "picked up" is a favourite homophone indicator among setters, so the answer and a 6a will sound the same.

14d - Is just an anagram.
80 of 113  -   Report This Post