CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

paradigmshifter

30th October 2021, 14:54
Another thing that did not help with the Spoonerism is the definition of the words is reversed as in: "an X that's Y" = "YX".
51 of 113  -   Report This Post

tonystock

30th October 2021, 14:54
Hi PS re 20d I took the ending to be a busy insect ?? Busy as a ***
Hope that works.
52 of 113  -   Report This Post

tonystock

30th October 2021, 14:56
Thanks Chris…I’m still thinking !!!
53 of 113  -   Report This Post

paradigmshifter

30th October 2021, 14:58
Yes as per usual I worked it out myself after typing my train of thoughts in a post.

We call that "cardboard cut-out debugging" or "sock 24A debugging" in my line of work where if you ask someone for assistance then often when you are explaining what is wrong you see the answer yourself anyway, so could have just been talking to a carboard cut-out!
54 of 113  -   Report This Post

tonystock

30th October 2021, 15:06
Haha PS very funny…I’m the same with anagrams, as soon as I look for help in a solver Ive sorted it :-)
55 of 113  -   Report This Post

paradigmshifter

30th October 2021, 15:12
"Rubber duck debugging" is another term I have heard used although in my industry I think crappy anime action figures/transformers etc. would be more appropriate since rubber ducks are only for use in the bath. Strangely it's the artists/designers that seem to have those sorts of toys littering their desk I just tend to have a big notebook and coffee on my desk (when I was in the office anyway). Although I did have a (decent, not the official brand) Rubik's cube on my desk (always solved of course, which makes my unsolved 4x4 on the shelf disappoint me because I used to be able to remember how to do those as well). Taking apart a 4x4 is NOT an easy option either, I did that once, took me about 4 hours to put it back together with my sausage fingers!

I'm unusual for a programmer in that I think Star Wars is crap as well!
56 of 113  -   Report This Post

paradigmshifter

30th October 2021, 15:23
6D is quite convoluted to parse, 1 followed by 2 "saving"/containing ("30 seconds" (3) + 1) so the 2 letter word forms the 2nd and last letter of the answer.
57 of 113  -   Report This Post

chrisxxxx

30th October 2021, 15:39
Does anyone else think there might be two answers to 24a.One begining with P and one with M ?
58 of 113  -   Report This Post

paradigmshifter

30th October 2021, 15:44
Maybe, although only a few of those were operated with the hand inside them, they used sticks/strings/actual people inside them to control most of them.

10A could also start with a T but it doesn't fit the "loosely speaking" part then (and by "loosely" he's not wrong about that!).
59 of 113  -   Report This Post

chrise

30th October 2021, 15:55
chrisxxx
You've reminded me of this - essential viewing for cricket followers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPIjT-zdryY
60 of 113  -   Report This Post