CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

brendan

30th October 2021, 23:06
Hi Rocky,

I just went on the app and changed the T to S and the tick disappeared, then changed it back to T and the tick reappeared - I did this a few times with the same result every time - I wonder what's going on 🤔
101 of 113  -   Report This Post

paradigmshifter

30th October 2021, 23:12
Perhaps (total guess) if they award you the green tick once and then you change the grid it denies it? If this theory is correct then rocky7 changing it from T back to S should remove the tick. Maybe it's different on Android/iOS as well.

Or maybe the Guardian outsources their software QA/Test to the same guys we do, they are useless, I could do a better job than them ;)

Otherwise I was going to suggest changing first letter of 24A to M or the 2nd letter of 1D to H.
102 of 113  -   Report This Post

paradigmshifter

30th October 2021, 23:43
Programmer head activated: what they should do to make it work with only 1 correct complete solution without having to store the crossword answers in the phone memory where you can probably look at the answers if you have the right 6As (maybe not, maybe you can only see memory of apps you have debug info for - I don't do mobile apps), is put the letters in order through a 1-way hash function giving a unique number that is extremely unlikely to hash to the same thing if you provide the wrong grid. Then they only need to include the hash number to verify the correct answer.

Bitcoin works similarly to that but to mine bitcoins you have to generate text to produce a specific hash (so doing it in reverse), which is extremely difficult to do.
103 of 113  -   Report This Post

mathprofrockstar

31st October 2021, 00:20
Ok, I experimented a bit. Changing the “T” to “S” does not remove the check. (Tick I guess is the British equivalent.) However, changing other letters, whether in 10 or in other clues does remove it. I surmise that, as someone suggested in an earlier post, that the Guardian has decided that either works.
104 of 113  -   Report This Post

minno

31st October 2021, 01:00
3D bread? let them have 3D cake.

Marie Antointernette.
@meta
105 of 113  -   Report This Post

brendan

31st October 2021, 01:04
Hi Minno,

I do like a good quote:-)

3d - I parsed this as a double definition. "sweet" and a slang term for money/"bread".
106 of 113  -   Report This Post

geeker

31st October 2021, 01:24
Back to something I brought up on the first page:
Is the 4-letter word appearing in the 8th row an accident?
I think so, no other Nina-like things I could see.
107 of 113  -   Report This Post

brendan

31st October 2021, 01:28
I think it might be accident because, as you say, it's not related to the theme - that said, I would love it if it was:-)
108 of 113  -   Report This Post

paradigmshifter

31st October 2021, 01:31
I worked out it meant bread only after I completed this puzzle. Was a DOH! moment. I just found it amusing that if you google it + bread it just shows you it + cake (popular in New Zealand apparently).
109 of 113  -   Report This Post

derbs52

31st October 2021, 12:32
On the subject of the green tick, I got one when I had mistyped two solutions. This has happened before.
110 of 113  -   Report This Post