CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

brendan

2nd October 2021, 02:14
This week's puzzle by Brummie has a special instruction that relates to eight of the clues, and it certainly added to the difficulty level.

FOI was 1a followed by 1d.

So far so good, I thought ...... and then ...... things started to get difficult.

If you do get stuck, there are two long anagrams in the acrosses, and a long anagram and a hidden in the downs.

Once I got in to the swing of things and started to get the paired words, I really enjoyed it.

COD - Has to be the very witty 16d - lack of cover indeed 😂

I predict a lively blog this week and look forward to reading how you all got on.

As ever, if, or rather, when! you get stuck - don't hesitate to ask for a hint.

Thanks to Brummie for a very enjoyable a interesting puzzle.

Stay safe:-)

1 of 88  -   Report This Post

brendan

2nd October 2021, 02:23
25a - I'm not entirely sure how this is parsed. I can see the "seal" but not how the last three letters equate to "a lot of money"?
2 of 88  -   Report This Post

mattrom

2nd October 2021, 02:31
Hi Brendan,
I was finding it especially difficult, as I didn't notice the special instructions. 🙄
25a, last 3 letters are 'accepted' (2)+ 'a lot of money' (1)
3 of 88  -   Report This Post

mathprofrockstar

2nd October 2021, 02:34
I was unsure of 25a as well, so thanks, mattrom.
4 of 88  -   Report This Post

brendan

2nd October 2021, 02:35
Of course, I'd thought the "a lot of" meant that it was part of a word for money and was tying myself up in knots. Many thanks Mattrom:-)

It was difficult enough knowing the instructions, no wonder you found it especially difficult!
5 of 88  -   Report This Post

brendan

2nd October 2021, 02:39
Hi Geeker,

I don't think I've ever been so glad to get that green tick on my app:-)

At one point I thought there might be a pattern was emerging in the paired words but I don't think there is.
6 of 88  -   Report This Post

jono

2nd October 2021, 02:48
Chambers has alternate spellings for 28a and they both fit. I assume it’s the more common spelling? No green tick for me though :-(
7 of 88  -   Report This Post

brendan

2nd October 2021, 02:57
Hi Jono,

I had the same issue but got the green tick with the 'I' spelling.
8 of 88  -   Report This Post

jono

2nd October 2021, 03:00
Ah, that’s good to know thanks Brendan.
9 of 88  -   Report This Post

brendan

2nd October 2021, 03:03
A big 'thank you' to Norah for so seamlessly correcting the title to this thread👍
10 of 88  -   Report This Post