CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

brendan

2nd October 2021, 18:44
Thanks Quocunque,

If it's any consolation I spent a good 10 minutes searching Google for famous industrialists in respect of 9a 🥵
61 of 88  -   Report This Post

paradigmshifter

2nd October 2021, 18:53
I'm missing 3 (after finding out about the special instruction from this thread, oh dear!).

13D, 26A, 28A and it sounds like 13D is the last paired answer from replies below? I can't think of anything for 26A ??M?R or 28A, T???R?L, I hope it isn't a french word because I am useless at french.

I wonder if Brummie is a Hawkwind fan because of 27A, great song, especially when Huw Lloyd Llangton was playing the guitar, RIP Huw.
62 of 88  -   Report This Post

brendan

2nd October 2021, 18:58
Hi PS,

13d - Normal clue - anagram.

26a - Normal clue - anagram/"fresh" of "more" + R(iver)

28a - Normal clue - It's a cart used to take French convicts to the guillotine!

PS My fav. was Silver Machine:-)
63 of 88  -   Report This Post

chrise

2nd October 2021, 19:01
Great album, brendan, but surely not as good as "Quark, strangeness and charm"?
64 of 88  -   Report This Post

paradigmshifter

2nd October 2021, 19:06
Ok just 28A to go now then, I miscounted the 8 clues with the pairs. I'll have to look up the cart on wikipedia I guess.

Most people ONLY know Silver Machine, was a bit too Status Quo for my liking, although Lemmy (RIP) sang on the version which was their big hit. The follow up (Urban Guerilla) was better I thought and they probably would have become much bigger band than they are/were had it not been pulled because of an IRA bombing.
65 of 88  -   Report This Post

paradigmshifter

2nd October 2021, 19:07
Quark Strangeness and Charm one of their better albums with Bob Calvert (RIP), although I prefer the Huw stuff so either Sonic Attack, Chronicle of the Black Sword or Choose Your Masques for me (Michael Moorcock was involved in those 3 as well).
66 of 88  -   Report This Post

paradigmshifter

2nd October 2021, 19:12
All done, can't see how to parse 5A though (which is one of the pairs I have).
67 of 88  -   Report This Post

brendan

2nd October 2021, 19:15
5a - Original answer = 3 letter "live" inside 4 letter "retreat" (think cozy home).
68 of 88  -   Report This Post

paradigmshifter

2nd October 2021, 19:20
I can see a word for a cosy home but that would leave "live" being something you have 2 of attached to your head? (and also part of the pair word)?

I think the best Bob album was Quark Strangeness and Charm although Astounding Sounds, Amazing Music was good too. PXR5 not so good but Death Trap and High Rise made up for that, probably the best songs of the Bob Era, although the other Bob albums were better overall I think.
69 of 88  -   Report This Post

chrise

2nd October 2021, 19:22
choose a different E
70 of 88  -   Report This Post