CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

paulhabershon

19th September 2022, 14:51
orson@470
Definitely agree.

Also, harking back to my @430, I am glad that I never heard nor read that the Queen was laying in state.

All credit to Justin Welby for using 'whom' during his sermon.
471 of 862  -   Report This Post

jigjag

19th September 2022, 18:47
Orson Paul

Yes, a lot of the language used by commentators was irritating:

"Thousands of people are queueing ahead of the funeral...", when it should be "...for the funeral..."

"People are queueing to celebrate.....". They certainly are not.

" We will never see a more important event than this". I dont know what that means.

472 of 862  -   Report This Post

chrise

20th September 2022, 20:44
On the voiceover of the (delayed) Celebrity Masterchef "raviolis"....
473 of 862  -   Report This Post

jigjag

26th September 2022, 18:23
Chrise

Similarly with "paninis"....

Nice that we featured in the Times today.
474 of 862  -   Report This Post

chrise

29th September 2022, 15:28
From today's Guardian (admittedly the sports section):
The result leaves them dependant on Hampshire....
Apparently the US doesn't even have the -and spelling. We do, but only as a noun, someone in a position of dependency.
475 of 862  -   Report This Post

jigjag

29th September 2022, 18:52
Chrise

...and sadly Yorkshire could not depend on Hants to draw with or beat Warwks, and have been relegated.

Sorry Tyke, I will miss the Roses match next year.

476 of 862  -   Report This Post

tyke51

29th September 2022, 19:31
Jigjag & Chrise

Yorkshire deserve to be relegated - we`re a shambles on and off the pitch! I watched Warwks just manage to bowl out Hants - it was a great effort! Contrary to what Strauss says, players and supporters do care about the Championship.
On a brighter note ... I will try to get to Worcester and Cardiff next season - beware the wounded Tykes!
477 of 862  -   Report This Post

jigjag

29th September 2022, 22:12
Tyke

I agree, players and fans really care about the Championship. I joined Lancs this year to watch Div 1 cricket and enjoyed it. The Lancs members have told the committee in no uncertain terms that they will not tolerate a reduction in the number of Championship matters and Lancs have advised Strauss of this. Similar for some other counties.

Unbelievable that Strauss thinks we should play the Hundred rather than 4 Champnship matches.

I too am looking forward to Worcester v Yorks next year.
478 of 862  -   Report This Post

chrise

11th October 2022, 20:10
I've previously shared my dislike of the phrase "animals and birds", but I've a new one. I'm watching the BBC2 programme on the upkeep of the new RHS Bridgewater garden, and the voiceover keeps saying "trees and plants".....
479 of 862  -   Report This Post

orson

17th October 2022, 15:29
Absolutely, chrise.

I've been watching an old BBC series called Life on Earth and I wonder whether it would be correct to distinguish between people and animals, or are we all just animals?
480 of 862  -   Report This Post