CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jigjag

14th October 2021, 20:54
Grunger

I know people in your part of the world stress all 3 syllables in words like violin, violet, violent etc.

I think I would pronounce violin as you do in formal speech, but usually I do say vile-inn.

I suppose the Times can authorise this in a crossword.
171 of 862  -   Report This Post

mathprofrockstar

14th October 2021, 20:58
There was a clue recently with the homophone keto/Quito. I really liked that one; for one thing it's so different from the usual fodder. The fiddle clue, I didn't feel too strongly about one way or the other. It's not great, but it didn't spur me to post a gripe here either. The floor/flaw clue from last week really riled me up though.
172 of 862  -   Report This Post

malone

14th October 2021, 21:38
Mathprofrockstar, I too quite like keto/Quito. I deliberately didn't start a conversation about the Vile Inn, as I felt I was moaning too often... but I was happy to see that others disliked it. I agree about Floor/Flaw and that one's even worse because it's a repeat offender - and riles me up every time!
173 of 862  -   Report This Post

jono

14th October 2021, 21:54
I pronounce floor and flaw identically
174 of 862  -   Report This Post

malone

14th October 2021, 22:17
Yes, Jono, I've always accepted that for many people the words do sound the same - but for many other people (in Scotland, the north of England, perhaps Wales) they are totally different. I''d just like to see 'by/for some' added to whatever the 'sounds like' indicator is. I wouldn't even demand or expect it all the time, just occasionally!
175 of 862  -   Report This Post

jono

14th October 2021, 22:45
Thanks, Malone. Clearly it doesn’t work for Mathprof in the US either. Is the difference in ‘floor’ being pronounced more like ‘flew-er’ or something else?
176 of 862  -   Report This Post

malone

15th October 2021, 08:55
Morning, Jono. My 'floor' is pronounced rather like 'flow', with an 'r' , verging towards 'er', added. My 'flaw' sounds like paw, caw and definitely has no R sound at the end.
177 of 862  -   Report This Post

orson

15th October 2021, 10:40
I must get my eyes tested.

Malone, that's an interesting way of saying floor. I've never heard it before but then I'm not Scottish. I don't think it's too fanciful to think of it as a relic of the Anglo-Saxon pronunciation. The word then was flōr, pronounced fl-oh-r (with the r sounded). A long time ago, I know, but a number of words of Anglo-Saxon and viking origin have been kept alive by the Scots.
178 of 862  -   Report This Post

malone

15th October 2021, 13:11
Orso, the 'interesting' way to pronounce 'floor' is shared by probably at least 5 million British people - not all of them Scottish. My friends in the north (of England) certainly don't fall into the floor/flaw category. It might be a relic of the Anglo-Saxon pronunciation - and it's a perfectly valid one for Chambers, so I just think of it as ... normal!
179 of 862  -   Report This Post

grunger

15th October 2021, 16:04
Malone

Yes your pronounciation of "floor" is also heard in some areas near here. I would say it is normal, although I regard my "flaw" as normal too.

Same with "poor". I say "paw" but poo-er is common here.
180 of 862  -   Report This Post