CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

grunger

19th October 2021, 19:54
malone

They are both un to me. I liked comedienne today in Times - correct word IMHO
201 of 862  -   Report This Post

malone

19th October 2021, 20:09
Thanks, Grunger.

I have given up with Earn/Urn as I always end up on the same loop! I mentioned the clue only because I'd mentioned the dreaded Earn/Urn only a day or urlier (!). It's like SA/It, has its own little spot in my brain, a spot marked 'ignore if possible.'

I didn't do the Times puzzle today, but am glad you were happy with 'Comedienne'. Although I can't see me using it myself, I don't mind it too much. H'mm, yes, I feel the same about thespienne, magicienne and physicienne....
202 of 862  -   Report This Post

grunger

19th October 2021, 22:42
malone

Love your imaginative -ienne words!
203 of 862  -   Report This Post

orson

20th October 2021, 10:51
Sorry if I've mentioned this before but as we're on the subject of feminine forms again, I read on the BBC website this morning of someone with blonde hair.

Hair is always blond, whether it belong to a man or a woman. A woman can be blonde, though, and a man blond.

At least "sherbet" was spelt correctly in the same article. Far too often it is spelt incorrectly as sherbert.
204 of 862  -   Report This Post

jono

20th October 2021, 10:54
Aviatrix appeared in a puzzle this morning which I rather liked
205 of 862  -   Report This Post

grunger

20th October 2021, 11:07
orson

Thanks, I didnt know that. I have always used blonde in all senses.

jono

I love aviatrix, which I have never seen, reminds me of Asterix.

206 of 862  -   Report This Post

jigjag

20th October 2021, 11:11
Inspired by recent postings, and feeling rather peckish, I set off in search of an exotic egg dish. Where else but the market café? I was surprised to see a new item on the menu, “Eggs However £2.50”.

“I’ve heard of Eggs Benedict and Eggs Florentine, but Eggs However is new to me” I said to Cassie the waitress.

“It is a new dish Paul has created, 2 eggs on 2 toasts, as you like them” she replied.

“I’d like a cup of tea and one piece of toast, but I’m not sure about the eggs however, however, however attractive it sounds.”

“You can have 2 eggs, fried, scrambled or poached with the toast” she advised.

“Actually I’ll have 3 eggs, one in each style, if that’s not too much trouble.”

“I’ll see what I can do, but I don’t know what to charge you, as you’ve swapped a toast for an egg.”

“I think this will cover it” and proffered a fiver. “Put the change in the tips.”

The eggs were nicely arranged around the piece of toast. Delicious, but I may not go there again for eggs, however.
207 of 862  -   Report This Post

malone

20th October 2021, 15:37
Grunger, glad you didn't my slightly sarky imaginative words! I like your liking of Aviatrix, you are pretty consistent in your preferences. I thought of you when I did Sunday's EV, as there was a clue which probably pleased you. It was 10 D - I haven;t given it here as there's a thematic element which would need explaining.

Orson. I thought your blond/blonde stuff was interesting and my Chambers cofirmed what you said... but my Collins didn't.

Jigjag,

Thanks for your latest restaurant review, Giles Coren had better watch out. I think the 'Eggs However' is just an extension of the 'whatever', used by the youth of today. Although I enjoyed hearing about your breakfast, three eggs seems a little ... eggsessive perhaps? I think my dieticienne, Gillienne, would be horrifed.
208 of 862  -   Report This Post

grunger

20th October 2021, 16:23
jigjag

I loved your market cafe report.They are certainly trying to please you and others like you, with unusual tastes? Hope you enjoyed the 3 eggs as much as I enjoyed your 3 consecutive howevers, all with different meanings - eggsellent!
209 of 862  -   Report This Post

jigjag

20th October 2021, 16:31
Malone

Glad you liked the report. I thought of ordering a boiled egg too, but thought that might be pushing it. I think "however" might replace "whatever" when the youngsters hear about it.

My dieticienne, Vivienne, recommends 3 eggs per week so I suppose she wont object.
210 of 862  -   Report This Post