CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

chrise

12th June 2021, 21:05
I really don't think 25a is a good clue - it's very clever, and topical, but the construction and the GK make it alost unsolvable without Google, for instance.
71 of 88  -   Report This Post

jono

12th June 2021, 21:37
Agree Chris, it felt forced to me, as if the surface took over the clue.
Incidentally, this wouldn’t be permitted in The Times as they don’t allow setters to use the names of living people - the one in the clue that is, not the chap we’ve all never heard of!
72 of 88  -   Report This Post

brendan

12th June 2021, 21:40
Judging by all the comments it's not just me that found this very difficult.

PS - Am I the only one who initially tried to crowbar Marmite in to 5d 😜
73 of 88  -   Report This Post

jono

12th June 2021, 21:46
Brendan, yes ‘spread’ and my favourite! 😂
74 of 88  -   Report This Post

brendan

12th June 2021, 21:57
Thanks Jono, and Chambers gives the definition as ..... "A spread for bread ....."
75 of 88  -   Report This Post

lunaticfridge

12th June 2021, 23:26
I have been struggling with this all day on and off. I never like a crossword to beat me, so will come back to it tomorrow. Struggling with the bottom and south east corner so a hint for 26 would help. I have an idea for an answer, but can’t parse it

Many thanks for the hints on here so far
76 of 88  -   Report This Post

roof

12th June 2021, 23:26
Montalbano finished and I came back to that south east corner. I can't make an anagram out of the letters for 25ac. Originally I thought the answer might be aviator, but it can't be.
I can't make a sensible word out of 19d. I have I?T???K. I'm really not sure about that K, so have I got 26ac wrong? Are my letters right?

I think I got badly stuck on the last Vlad I did. There are lots of clues I can't fully parse and new words. I'm giving up for the night.
77 of 88  -   Report This Post

brendan

12th June 2021, 23:34
Hi Roof,

25a - Your first thought is indeed correct - definition is "maybe Post" (a person)

19d - "it" (from the clue) + single letter "punishment principally" and both these go onside a 4 letter "jail" - definition is "be too fussy" (First letter N then I)

26a - First word is "store" and second word is "wave" - definition is "one responsible for crime"
78 of 88  -   Report This Post

lunaticfridge

12th June 2021, 23:50
Thanks Brendan. That helps. My hunch for 26 is correct.

I will try to complete SE corner tomorrow
79 of 88  -   Report This Post

brendan

12th June 2021, 23:51
Thanks LF, glad to help 👍
80 of 88  -   Report This Post