CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

rogissimo

12th June 2021, 01:58
Sorry, brendan - I crossed with your last. Tumbled to it just before I saw your further hint!
11 of 88  -   Report This Post

brendan

12th June 2021, 02:00
Thanks Geeker, thanks Rogissimo,

Brilliant indeed, so many intricate and clever parsings - not to mention the wonderful definitions.

Geeker, I did wonder if you might come a bit unstuck with 8d - or is it well known over the pond?
12 of 88  -   Report This Post

rogissimo

12th June 2021, 02:01
geeker - 15dn is such a lovely word, and I think one that once learned will not be forgotten, certainly if you ever did a bit of Latin!
13 of 88  -   Report This Post

geeker

12th June 2021, 02:08
Brendan, do you mean 7d (8 is an across clue)? Not well-known in USA, but not terribly obscure to relatively Anglophile reader. I struggled to solve it, but eventually recognized the definition and recalled having heard of the solution.
14 of 88  -   Report This Post

brendan

12th June 2021, 02:11
My mistake, I meant 5d - It's obviously well known in the UK but I did wonder if it's well known outside of these shores.
15 of 88  -   Report This Post

geeker

12th June 2021, 02:12
rogissimo, I once took a term of Latin in grammar school (in Kenya of all places). More familiar with the non-Latinized spelling, but considering Latin variants is part of the cryptic crossword toolkit. 15 is indeed a lovely and logically constructed word.
16 of 88  -   Report This Post

geeker

12th June 2021, 02:18
Brendan,
Sorry for mis-guessing.
No, I don't believe 5d is at all well-known Stateside. But I'm a chess enthusiast, and 5d was the site of some major chess tournaments way back when. 1935 particularly comes to mind; I must have played through some famous games from that edition. So I knew it as a city, though not particularly as a resort.
17 of 88  -   Report This Post

brendan

12th June 2021, 02:23
Got it. I'm looking forward to seeing Magnus play Nepo. There's a guy on YouTube called Agadmator and he has excellent videos about all the latest and best matches. I'm a fan of Chucky and I also really like Anna Rudolph - what happened to her with the "camera in the lipstick" was an absolute disgrace - FIDE should be ashamed of themselves.
18 of 88  -   Report This Post

geeker

12th June 2021, 02:31
Brendan,
Excellent! I think MC vs Nepo will be a close match, as Ian is very strong and Magnus has not overwhelmed in any of his WC matches to date.
I've watched a number of agadmator's videos! Anna Rudolf is quite a good online commentator. I'd seen references to her, camera and lipstick but thought it was just a joke!
Over the past couple of years, I've become a fan of chess24's "Banter Blitz", in which grandmasters, even super-strong ones, play blitz vs. any and all comers while commenting on the moves. I've seen many banter blitz sessions by both MC and Nepo (he does some in English as well as Russian), and try to watch them whenever possible.
19 of 88  -   Report This Post

brendan

12th June 2021, 02:43
Geeker,

I know what you mean, but Magnus does tend to come good when it matters. I love the short games, so much can happen - did you ever see the one where Ivanchuck missed mate in 1 - it was unbelievable!
20 of 88  -   Report This Post