CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

brendan

17th April 2021, 01:05
This week's puzzle is a most enjoyable effort by Brendan and, thankfully, I didn't find it as taxing as last week's but, as always, these things are very subjective.

FOI was the excellent 5a followed by 10a.

There are still a couple I can't fully parse, namely 13a which references "other across solutions (apart from 23)" and 9a where the "smart in Washington" bit puzzles me - although in both cases the answers are clear.

If you do get stuck there are two longish anagrams, an initial letters and a hidden (although I took an age to see it) - all in the acrosses.

COD - Hard to choose this week with quite a few contenders. 15d and 21a are both worthy of mention along with the witty 24a but I've gone for my FOI 5a - Position of bishop and cardinal making one become angry (3,3) which has such a smooth surface reading.

It's great to see that we had more first time posters joining our friendly blog last week - as I said earlier, crosswords are such subjective things so it's always good to read the views of fellow solvers. And remember, if you do get stuck, don't hesitate to ask for a hint or two - there are always people on here willing to help.

Thanks to Brendan for a most enjoyable puzzle.

Stay safe:-)
1 of 87  -   Report This Post

geeker

17th April 2021, 01:15
Hi Brendan,

I also found this on the gentle side, but fun to solve. Thanks to your namesake! Was able to complete the grid without knowledge of the theme, which came relatively late.
FOI also 15, LOI 13, which I'm also struggling to parse.
Parsing of 9: first two letters clear, the last 4 lettersreas the reversal of an adjective similar to "posh" which I question as being just US usage.
I liked a lot of relatively simple or "easy" clues: COD 21, other contenders 8, 15, 24, 18, 20.
2 of 87  -   Report This Post

brendan

17th April 2021, 01:16
9a - I've just seen the "reverse of smart in Washington" but Chambers gives it as obsolete slang and not as a US word (although I'm aware of the award).
3 of 87  -   Report This Post

brendan

17th April 2021, 01:21
Hi Geeker,

Theme!!? - As regular readers of this blog will probably be aware, if missing themes was an Olympic sport, I'd be a gold medallist 😜
4 of 87  -   Report This Post

geeker

17th April 2021, 01:23
I don't have Chambers, but my NSOED gives it as "colloq. (orig. US)". Far from obsolete Stateside, though it seems IMO to often be used a bit sarcastically.
5 of 87  -   Report This Post

brendan

17th April 2021, 01:27
That's great, thanks Geeker.

That just leaves 13a to parse - oh, and of course the theme, which I'm still oblivious to 🥵
6 of 87  -   Report This Post

geeker

17th April 2021, 01:33
I almost never figure out themes, afraid of spoilers here, but I think it lies within the combined solution and clue of 13. Although 22 might be an exception as well as 23.
7 of 87  -   Report This Post

brendan

17th April 2021, 01:34
NB - The hidden I referred to in "if you get stuck" is in the downs not the acrosses - apologies:-(
8 of 87  -   Report This Post

brendan

17th April 2021, 01:35
Okay, thanks Geeker - I'll mull on it a while longer.
9 of 87  -   Report This Post

geeker

17th April 2021, 01:42
I think various letters of the alphabet get (read the clue of 13 after striking out the first 3 words).
10 of 87  -   Report This Post