CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

noeyedeer

17th April 2021, 11:39
Thanks all! Love 18 - great clue, should’ve got that. Google helped in the end with the manual
51 of 87  -   Report This Post

justsolve

17th April 2021, 11:42
Noeyedea to get the answer to 18a look carefully at the words that follow "leaderless" then make them so, and the answer should leap out at you! It was my LOI so I had something of a PDM then kicked myself...

I'm flabbergasted that there are people saying they found this to be on the easy side, even after I worked out how 13a worked it took me an age, especially as I'd never heard of 6a, 19d or 25a, and needed the crossers & Google to resolve them.

A very good crossword though, worthy of a prize indeed! Thanks to Brendan(s).
52 of 87  -   Report This Post

noeyedeer

17th April 2021, 11:44
All ✔️ thanks to the help on here, don’t quite get the parsing for 23ac or 20d but an enjoyable morning especially for the PDM for 13! Must get out and enjoy the sunshine now...
53 of 87  -   Report This Post

brendan

17th April 2021, 11:49
Thanks Noeyedeer,

23a - If you take the middle 4 letters and jut repeat them you get a "disease" and that go inside a single letter "one" and single letter "area".

20d - Single letter for "good" + a 6 letter "fruit" minus its last letter/"pruned" - definition is "problem with equipment.
54 of 87  -   Report This Post

brendan

17th April 2021, 11:59
Thanks Justsolve, judging by the posts so far, this puzzle is definitely proving popular 👍
55 of 87  -   Report This Post

ronpegram

17th April 2021, 12:30
Certainly popular with me - and I found it quite easy, especially with the help of 13ac, once I'd realised that the letters are in the order of the clues - but frustrated that I can't parse 7d, even though the answer is (I hope) obviously races of the kind where runners do not all run at the same time.
56 of 87  -   Report This Post

chrise

17th April 2021, 12:34
one person only wouldn't have much chance!
57 of 87  -   Report This Post

brendan

17th April 2021, 12:36
Ho Ronpegram,

7d - That's all there is to it - the individual individual runners only run part of the way so, for each of them, they are "races they can't complete".
58 of 87  -   Report This Post

steviec

17th April 2021, 12:36
Just finished. What a wonderful crossword and to get the homophones in the correct order is genius. Many thanks to Geeker on this one. Your subtle hints early on to the theme greatly helped the solve. My only issue is 25 across. The pronunciation on Google has it as a different vowel sound to what it should br. As no one else has mentioned this previously it must be me. Can you put me right please?
59 of 87  -   Report This Post

brendan

17th April 2021, 12:42
Hi Stevie,

Chambers gives two pronunciations for the first part of the clue, one of which is the required homophone.
60 of 87  -   Report This Post