CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

brendan

17th April 2021, 07:49
Hi Jono,

I wondered that, but if you Google the part of the saying that everyone knows you'll see there's another word ....... 😉
31 of 87  -   Report This Post

mathi

17th April 2021, 07:53
Look up primum non nocere, first do no harm.
32 of 87  -   Report This Post

jono

17th April 2021, 07:59
Ah yes! Very good Brendan, I think in the Latin expression the meaning is ‘primarily’ rather than initially, or at least I’d hope so!
33 of 87  -   Report This Post

rocky7

17th April 2021, 08:16
Totally stuck in the south east corner where I have nothing filled in yet. Everything else done but still totally bemused as I can't fathom a 13a from the other across clues. It's actually hilarious when you aren't getting it but everyone else is talking about it. It's like reading a different language.

Some help with 15d and 17d might help.
34 of 87  -   Report This Post

brendan

17th April 2021, 08:20
Hi Rocky,

I know what you mean but, on the plus side, it does make it all the sweeter when you finally get that PDM - which you will:-)

17d - Is a double definition - "playing" as in a film, TV or theatre and "in position as substitute" like when you're filling in for a job/position but you haven't actually got it yet.

15d - See my post @16
35 of 87  -   Report This Post

rocky7

17th April 2021, 08:39
Ok that's very clever. Really appreciate it when a setter really puts some effort into making the crossword a bit different. Even as you say when this one is not that taxing. Thanks both Brendan's.
36 of 87  -   Report This Post

chrise

17th April 2021, 08:44
I am NOT finding this easy - less than half solved, and no theme yet. However I would nominate 22a as clue of the year so far!
37 of 87  -   Report This Post

abicoop

17th April 2021, 08:46
Morning!
Enjoying this so far, the theme is so cleverly used.
FOI was 10a (goodness know why that was the first one I read - I think Pale Fire being capitalised stood out to me as soon as I opened it!)

Totally stumped by 6a which is really annoying as I have the crossers and know what homophone should be there and still can't get it. So if someone could help me out that'd be great.
38 of 87  -   Report This Post

abicoop

17th April 2021, 08:48
Typically, I've just got it. New word for me!
39 of 87  -   Report This Post

brendan

17th April 2021, 08:50
Hi Abicoop,

6a - 2 letter "act" reversed/"the wrong way" inside 4 letter "precious" (as in someone you love) - definition is "tree" (although, as per usual, I'd never heard of it).

Hi Chris,

Yes, 22a is an excellent clue.
40 of 87  -   Report This Post