CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

brendan

17th April 2021, 20:36
8d - As Chris says, it's an unusual definition of "shades" but both that and the answer mean "ghosts". The parsing as as per my previous post.
71 of 87  -   Report This Post

chrise

17th April 2021, 20:36
I didn't believe 10a could be right until I googled (even though it was my second, tentative, entry!)
72 of 87  -   Report This Post

roof

17th April 2021, 20:37
Many thanks Chris and Brendan. It means I've finished and can stop now.

Chris, I think I told you before that I live in Exeter. I only go to Barnstaple to have operations on my hands (trapeziectomies). Now I've had both done, I don't expect to go again.

Thanks to everyone for the hints. My FOI was 9ac and I think it was one of my favourites.
73 of 87  -   Report This Post

chrise

17th April 2021, 20:40
Sorry, roof, I had forgotten. Another crossword poster lives in Bishops Tawton, but I'm afraid that I can't remember who that is either!
74 of 87  -   Report This Post

jono

17th April 2021, 20:54
Another Devonian here. I was born and grew up in Exmouth. It always amuses me when the river Exe crops up in clues. I think Rossim might also be in Devon, unless I have that wrong
75 of 87  -   Report This Post

abicoop

17th April 2021, 21:57
Just finished this now, as went out to the beach on this glorious day. But if someone could just help me parse 12a that'd be good.
Last in was 16d and I think my favourite today was 14d, though I loved it all, very clever and such a creative idea.
76 of 87  -   Report This Post

brendan

17th April 2021, 22:01
Hi Abicoop,

12a - First 2 letters are "one side of" (a pair) of "bridge" (partners) + 3 letter "always" around 5 letter "at that point" - definition is "something sailor needs"
77 of 87  -   Report This Post

abicoop

17th April 2021, 22:07
Thanks, hadn't realised those 3 letters meant always
78 of 87  -   Report This Post

brendan

17th April 2021, 23:14
Same here, but apparently it is up north and in Scotland:-)
79 of 87  -   Report This Post

aicram

18th April 2021, 08:29
Thanks for response re 21a. I was thinking 18a was the first letter of the second word rather than the last letter of the first word!
Interested in the Devon connection. I lived in Torquay as a teenager and my parents lived there for many years so all our holidays involved a visit to Devon. Our favourite place was Dartington Hall and the Cider Press in Totnes.
I now live up north, so the word for "always" in 12a was no problem for me.
I'm so pleased I've discovered this blog. Before that I would often jettison the crossword as being beyond me. Now I know I'll be able to finish it though it does take a lot of time.
Thanks.
80 of 87  -   Report This Post