CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

mathi

14th February 2021, 04:55
Hi Roof,
25a: I am not able to parse this correctly. Looks like a part anagram of ‘us it relax’, but another u is missing for me.
27a: remove B from a street in NY famous for theatres. Definition is a synonym for street.
41 of 60  -   Report This Post

hotelwhiskey7

14th February 2021, 05:56
Re: 25A

Answer minus two ‘u’s leaves it relax.

5A - thank goodness it was a gastric haemorrhage rather then say a bleeding tooth, which whilst legitimate wordplay would have put us well into Viz/Eye territory...
42 of 60  -   Report This Post

barryc

14th February 2021, 10:26
Hi, all.
I’m happy to have completed this with minimal help from the forum.
I enjoyed the musical refs. (Good to see there’s another musician out there, Brendan. I suspect there are more.)
Particularly liked the simplicity of my FOI, 27A.
Interesting that the compiler didn’t subtract the 3rd letter to make the clue for 2D, given current preoccupations.
One day, I’ll be quick enough to assist others . . .
43 of 60  -   Report This Post

abicoop

14th February 2021, 11:18
Morning,
Yes I thought that too about 2d, but as it was it was a brilliant clue, very neat wordplay.
Yesterday was my daughter's birthday so I didn't get a spare minute to look at the crossword and hence am doing it today. FOI was 9a, and it's quite slow going but each one I get I am amazed by it's cleverness. Particularly like 5a, as I'm quite a fan of 21a stuff.
Might be back for some hints once I've worked my way through all that's been given so far.
44 of 60  -   Report This Post

dandybandy

14th February 2021, 12:45
Afternoon each, I don't often do the Saturday prize but thought I'd have a go. I too was stuck on 16d until I saw the Potter reference so thanks Chrise. Trouble is I was thrown by a mislead in 21ac. Yes the definition was bloody but there, in the middle of literary, was rare staring me in the face! Meanwhile a hint for 28ac, Medium or perhaps strong? You can have instant coffee at first (7), would be appreciated. I have ??Y?H?? Thanks in anticipation. Now off to pick up Observer. No deliveries in North Manchester.
45 of 60  -   Report This Post

rocky7

14th February 2021, 12:51
Dandybandy. The definition is medium. Then checkout the words in the clue and what "at first" usually means.

Meanwhile some help with my last two. 8d and 12a would be useful
46 of 60  -   Report This Post

chrise

14th February 2021, 13:08
8d the wordplay is two 4 letter words for place to sleep, then a common crossword river
12 is a trade name writer with the inner letters swapped round
47 of 60  -   Report This Post

hmmm

14th February 2021, 13:31
Struggling with 11ac. Have an anagram for 8 letters but can’t get 10
48 of 60  -   Report This Post

chrise

14th February 2021, 13:35
add 2 initial letters
49 of 60  -   Report This Post

femmenoire

14th February 2021, 13:37
Jono I still have no green tick alas. Having checked and rechecked every letter of every answer and verifying some of them by seeing what others were saying on the forum, I thought there must be a problem with the app, but because you have managed to get the elusive green tick that means that I must have an error somewhere.
Still searching and seeking...
50 of 60  -   Report This Post