CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

roof

13th February 2021, 17:56
Hi Chrisxxxx

I sympathise, but my problem is getting off to sleep. But I can't start the crossword until after the paper comes at 8.00am and I've done some chores.

So far, I've only got one more answer - 11ac. Can I have a hint for 1ac. I'm assuming the definition is lancer and that it is medical.It would be good to know if I have it wrong as inspiration hasn't struck. I'm missing Brendan's hints about anagrams and hidden clues etc.
21 of 60  -   Report This Post

chrise

13th February 2021, 18:01
Hi roof
1a is more t do with bullfighting than lancing!
22 of 60  -   Report This Post

roof

13th February 2021, 18:39
Thanks Chrise.

It's funny how hard it is to move to a different track once you set off on the wrong one. NW corner done now. Now for the other three quarters!
23 of 60  -   Report This Post

roof

13th February 2021, 20:53
Stuck again,

so some hints for 16d for which I have ?M?G?L??

and 10ac beginning with V

and 5d ????L?D UP

Back after Montalbano
24 of 60  -   Report This Post

chrise

13th February 2021, 21:01
Hi roof
16d is incompehensible unless you have read Harry Potter.
10a is neat. The city is in Canada.
5d is unfair. You have to know (IMHO) Dylan's greatest, album, Blood on the tracks.
25 of 60  -   Report This Post

geeker

13th February 2021, 21:39
"Where is Brendan? Who are all these contributers whe get up so early. Are you all across the pond?"

I'm in USA Eastern time zone. Guardian puzzle appears at 7 PM these days (8 PM when daylight savings time), and I usually work at it evenings.
I really prefer having Brendan start the weekly thread, as he's the customary host and excellent in that role. But when it's a matter of staying up too late, I'll occasionally open one.
26 of 60  -   Report This Post

femmenoire

13th February 2021, 22:08
Currently in USA Eastern time zone also. 5 hrs behind means you can get the online crosswords late evening. I don’t usually look at it till around 9pm here (2am UK time) but I think it is put up an hour or so earlier than that even.
27 of 60  -   Report This Post

ethereal

13th February 2021, 22:30
I really enjoyed this. It's the first time in a long time I only looked at the Forum AFTER finishing the puzzle. Being Canadian, singing in a choir and knowing a lot of Dylan songs were very helpful. I did have to look up the connecting group for 2d. I see both themes present which is unusual, but both were interesting. I really have so many CODs but the short 17 is very clever and involves a British term I like knowing. Good health and good cheer!
28 of 60  -   Report This Post

iguana2go

13th February 2021, 23:18
Hi all - I'm stuck on 11ac Girl, nine, starts wearing ponytail in an affected manner. My crossers are P???N?N?G? and I did have U as the third letter, but I can't parse 2d either so have talked myself out of it. I can see the first three letters as 'my' then 5 but can't work out why US would be papers.

Any hints greatly appreciated
29 of 60  -   Report This Post

geeker

13th February 2021, 23:27
That last crosser G should be an L, it's from the Dylan clue referenced in earlier posts.
In 5, the "papers" is a fairly common crossword device. Think of something often demanded of characters in war or spy novels.
30 of 60  -   Report This Post