CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

roof

30th January 2021, 19:40
back again

I've done quite a few more, but still finding it difficult. Can I have a hint for 11ac. I'm assuming the definition is they come out at night. I've only got the crosser for 6d and the badger's home to fit in somewhere.

Perhaps a hint for 18d would help as well. I've only got the crosser from 24ac
41 of 72  -   Report This Post

brendan

30th January 2021, 19:47
Hi Roof,

With a few exceptions I think most of found this very difficult so I wouldn't be too disheartened.

11a - Anagram/"fluid" of three words in the clue around the "badger's home" (but spelt with 3 letters not the usual 4) - definition is "they come out at night"

18d - Is a charade type clue - 2 letters for "make" + single letter for "love" + single letter "left" + 4 letter "partner" - definition is "crazy"
42 of 72  -   Report This Post

chrise

30th January 2021, 19:50
Hi roof
In 11 rhe badger;s home is just wrong[/b} - I don't care what Chambers might say!
Anagram of "left a" around the incorrect badger's home.
18d is a a rather obscure word for "crazy".
43 of 72  -   Report This Post

chrise

30th January 2021, 19:52
44 of 72  -   Report This Post

geeker

30th January 2021, 22:35
I just noticed the parsings of 9 and 21 share a common element (though used in different senses). Seems a little off, IMO the one slightly sour note in the puzzle.
45 of 72  -   Report This Post

roof

30th January 2021, 23:29
Many thanks Chrise and Brendan

I've made steady progress and learnt a new crossword clue - charade.
I had to stop and watch Spiral and I now have about forty minutes to finish the last eight.

I can't find a word that fits 4d. I have ?F?E?E?? and 16d has defeated me. I have two possible answers but I cannot parse either. I've just got the answer to 19d, but again can't parse it. I'll see if I can get any more before the witching hour.

I agree with Chris about the badger's home.
46 of 72  -   Report This Post

brendan

30th January 2021, 23:41
Hi Roof,

I've never seen Spiral - I understand it's very good but that this is also the last season.

4d - 3 letters for "swear" (as in ??? and blind) + single letter "English" + 5 letter "TV" minus it's middle letter/"heartlessly" - definition is "in a way that's weak"

16d - 6 letter "curvy figure" (the 'figure' is a number" around 3 letter synonym for "Ok" - definition is a very common word related to "seeing".

19d - 2 letter symbol for "tin" around "to" (from the clue) and 3 letter "beer" minus it's first letter/"without opening" - definition is "taken"
47 of 72  -   Report This Post

paradigmshifter

30th January 2021, 23:49
Eff off! Is helpful. Also TV in Britain.

I thought this one was not too bad (used dictionary and thesaurus a lot more than usual though)?

I can't see why 13D is anagram of IN FEAR ING L but it must be correct, and it's sneaky if they mean that, why drop some letters from end of last 2 words but not consistently? Can't work out 6D either but it's obviously correct.

First post.
48 of 72  -   Report This Post

brendan

30th January 2021, 23:55
Hi ParadigmShifter,

13d - It is an anagram of "in" + "in" ("repeatedly") = "fear" + 2 letters for "thing will ultimately"

6d - 5 letter "hose" as a verb (as in 'hose' or ????? the flowers) around single letter "one" - definition is "one takes orders" (in a restaurant, for example)
49 of 72  -   Report This Post

paradigmshifter

30th January 2021, 23:57
OK 6D I've definitely got wrong then lol. I thought it was one who serves one and I had ?A?T?R.

Starting to doubt 13D too I'm biting them now I think? 'Cos nervous.
50 of 72  -   Report This Post