CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

femmenoire

30th January 2021, 07:08
Typo - meant 13d
11 of 72  -   Report This Post

jono

30th January 2021, 08:39
Enjoyed that. Certainly tricky but there are enough ways in to make it doable. I did a a few older Tramp puzzles back in the summer and definitely recommend having a go at the Fawlty Towers one.
Favourites here were 16d and 24a. The badger thing has come up before and I believe the three letter version is an acceptable alternative per Chambers.
I’m still not sure I quite get the wording of 6d though.
12 of 72  -   Report This Post

chrise

30th January 2021, 08:52
google and i agree with femmenoire on 11a. i don't think i'll bother with this one.
13 of 72  -   Report This Post

abicoop

30th January 2021, 09:01
I must have had the good coffee this morning as I found this quite straightforward and finished it in about half an hour. I was surprised to read some of you found it tough.

My first was 26a and then quickly the whole bottom right corner, except 18d which ended up being my LOI.
Lots of clues I loved. A couple annoyed me as I felt the definitions were very loose.
Favourites were 12a, 5d, and 16d.
I checked in chambers and the 3 letter word for badger's home seems fine, though I think it should have 4!

Happy to provide hints if anyone gets stuck. :-)
14 of 72  -   Report This Post

simond9x

30th January 2021, 09:23
Yep, me too. Pretty much a write-in apart from SW which I did struggle with. Re 11a, agree both versions are in Chambers but I always think of it as the longer version. Struggled to fully parse 1d (I had thought it was just a loose clue) so thanks, Brendan.
15 of 72  -   Report This Post

simond9x

30th January 2021, 09:28
Sorry, that sounded smug - it wasn't intended to be. Some weeks I struggle when others find it easy so 'horses for courses' I suppose.
16 of 72  -   Report This Post

lucubrator

30th January 2021, 09:41
Some excellent tests today. I love the Pauline clues at 7 and 14. But18D was my COD.
Now for Fawlty Towers!
17 of 72  -   Report This Post

justsolve

30th January 2021, 09:52
Wow, toughie! Nearly there but stuck on my LOI 15a, "Stupid person put on an island" D_N_E_

I can see a plural for stupid people which fits but doesn't make sense AFAIK, and can't see an island at all!

Any clues would be much appreciated.
18 of 72  -   Report This Post

jono

30th January 2021, 10:00
JustSolve,
It’s not the word you’re thinking of (I made same mistake). Three letters for to put on and three letters for island which only ever seem to crop up in crosswords
19 of 72  -   Report This Post

richardk

30th January 2021, 10:24
For me this was definitely not 5d! Took an age to get going, and needed help in several places.

Still good fun though.
20 of 72  -   Report This Post