CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

lumen

24th January 2021, 14:47
Great thanks, I see now
71 of 78  -   Report This Post

luftmensch

24th January 2021, 16:40
I too cannot find the Dictionary Appendices in the Chambers app for Android. Is there any possibility of collective pressure on Chambers to add this?
72 of 78  -   Report This Post

steve568

24th January 2021, 18:07
I've just written to the publishers of the Chambers app requesting that the appendices are added to the Android implementation. You might like to do the same!? (If you go onto Google play and find the Chambers app, there's an option to "contact developer").

I've just finished this puzzle. Thanks to everyone who postms here, I couldn't have done it without you!
73 of 78  -   Report This Post

suzannahj

27th January 2021, 14:51
Hello!

I've struggled with this one, but have just had a major breakthrough - the title and author - and that's allowed me to finish the bottom half of the grid. I'm still pretty stumped on the top half, though, and a hint for 12A would help. I believe it to be thematic.

Oh, and am I meant to be doing anything clever with the thematic parts of the thematic words? The title of the hidden work would suggest swapping one thing for another, but I don't see that with 23D, for instance. Do I just write the themed word in the 3rd box? And where do the extra letters in 21 go? Are they placed in the 3rd box, too? If so, it just ends up looking rather messy.

Take care,
Suzy
74 of 78  -   Report This Post

loge

27th January 2021, 15:12
Suzannah, 12 A is an anagram of WAITED ABOUT + CE. It's a thematic clue and the first 4 letters need to be swapped for a single letter.

It's the same principle for all the thematics - in 23 D the third to eighth letter of the answer form a thematic item which needs to be replaced by its single letter abbreviation. So THE 9-letter answer becomes a 4-letter entry.

Hope this helps rather than confuses!
75 of 78  -   Report This Post

suzannahj

27th January 2021, 15:20
Thanks Loge! You've just helped me to get the item of clothing. And I did wonder if it was simply a case of changing an abbreviation for a full word, but I didn't like how it created clashes with other words. Some of these puzzles are so ingenious, whereas this one seems a little clumsy to me. (Not that I could get close to setting something like this, though, so credit to the setter, anyway!)
76 of 78  -   Report This Post

loge

27th January 2021, 15:47
There shouldn't be any clashes with crossing words if you have the correct abbreviations, but one of the criticisms of the puzzle is that several of the modified entries aren't real words. I don't know if it would have been possible to achieve that, but if so it would have made the puzzle neater. Still, it seems I enjoyed it more than many did!
77 of 78  -   Report This Post

getbacktome

28th January 2021, 09:51
Didn't help that I had RABID for 21a di bar< (ban=fan for the typo. Threw me completely. A very clever construction though, to get 12 in was impressive.
78 of 78  -   Report This Post