CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

granama1

23rd January 2021, 15:38
Thanks Gitto and Merenz. I had used 'gird' for 'dress' in 30a and convinced myself that it parsed!
41 of 78  -   Report This Post

gitto

23rd January 2021, 15:52
Thanks Loge (@38), that is what went through my mind - but I don't like it - and that clue is not alone in that respect!
42 of 78  -   Report This Post

brendan

23rd January 2021, 15:58
Hi Merenz,

I'm looking at my Chambers app but can't see the appendices. Under Help I have 'basic features', 'searching and anagrams', 'settings', cross-referencing', 'about' and 'dictionary help'. Is it under one of these headings?
43 of 78  -   Report This Post

granama1

23rd January 2021, 16:00
Hi Merenz, is that the android app? Try as I might I can't find the appendices via the Help function in it!
44 of 78  -   Report This Post

riversk

23rd January 2021, 16:10
How is 15 supposed to work? Is it the reverse of a proper noun? And not a surname?
45 of 78  -   Report This Post

brendan

23rd January 2021, 16:13
Hi Riversk,

15a - synonym for "stuff" and also the name of a retired British middle-distance runner "Steve ....."
46 of 78  -   Report This Post

loge

23rd January 2021, 16:15
On the iPhone app there are 8 links in Help, of which Dictionary Appendices is the penultimate. Maybe it's different for Android?
47 of 78  -   Report This Post

riversk

23rd January 2021, 16:16
Thanks, brendan. Guess I need to bone up on my retired British middle-distance runners.
48 of 78  -   Report This Post

merenz

23rd January 2021, 16:23
It’s the iOS app I’m using. I tap on the square with the up arrow and there’s a list including Add to Bookmarks, Copy to clipboard... and Help. Select Help and there’s a further list starting Basic Features, Searching and Anagrams... and further down is Dictionary Appendices and then The Word Lover’s Miscellany (worth a look!).

Perhaps it’s hiding elsewhere within the Android app? Maybe the app needs updating?

Loge... the font is indeed tiny (even for my recently acquired and life changing varifocals!). But you can zoom in on it with that thumb and finger zooming in action
49 of 78  -   Report This Post

rickye

23rd January 2021, 17:07
I’m struggling. I thought 21d was going to something like remoulade but I’m not sure that 35 is even ester rather than wester. An extra could be more or something like a wide in cricket. 12 looks very like some sort of bodice but only one springs to mind. 23d may be perched rather than parched but it’s not helping me with my missing third letter in my insertion.
1D is presumably a word meaning always with p becoming f and all being some musical ornament. Any help appreciated.
50 of 78  -   Report This Post