CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

suzannahj

30th November 2020, 14:28
Thanks, Candledave? So, a K for 1 across? Does that put me on the right track?
51 of 69  -   Report This Post

candledave

30th November 2020, 14:30
Yep - you’ll realise why at the end
52 of 69  -   Report This Post

suzannahj

30th November 2020, 20:59
Hi!

Thanks to some earlier help, I finally managed to fill the grid and find the mystery man. I just have a couple of parsing queries left. They are 18d and 20d. The first has me totally baffled. The second I can see a possibility, but I can't quite work it through.

Cheers,
Suzy x

53 of 69  -   Report This Post

candledave

30th November 2020, 21:49
18d - expert is definition, wiser is surplus, about can be ON and casualty in the US is ER

20d - goad is definition. Me can be US and the three initials from the other words.
54 of 69  -   Report This Post

suzannahj

1st December 2020, 10:50
Morning Candledave!

Thanks for putting me out of my misery! I got fixated on Angus for 20d, but I now see the error of my ways.

Nice to put this one to bed - finally!

Cheers,
Suzy
55 of 69  -   Report This Post

brendan

1st December 2020, 10:56
Hi Suzy,

20d - I was quite surprised to see that Chambers has "me" as one of the definitions of "us" - I'd always assumed it was just slang.
56 of 69  -   Report This Post

suzannahj

1st December 2020, 11:31
It surprises me, too, Brendan. But the Golden Rule of the Listener, which I ignored on this occasion, is to always check everything in Chambers! I have to keep reminding myself about that all the time. So often, it will clear things up...
57 of 69  -   Report This Post

williamseal

1st December 2020, 14:32
Woe, woe, and thrice woe (Wales, Arsenal and Cardiff Blues all lost over the weekend) and despite the generous hints from all above, I am not getting very far with this one. It is the theme that bothers me.

If I am right both the fourth cell of 4 across and the sixth of 10 across contain a clash involving three letters. I cannot get any sense out of the threes as a group - should I just select one of them as a constituent of a nine letter name?

Also 14 across, if I read an above post correctly, is adjusted in some way. I cannot see how and cannot parse my answer. Suzannah is evidently several laps ahead of me.

One last look at the thread before I go and have a cry on the sandbank. Fish and Chip restaurant in Cromer opens again this week so I will try again next week.
58 of 69  -   Report This Post

ixion

1st December 2020, 14:44
WS, the nine thematic clues have two letters (two different variants of this) replaced by an "untouched" single letter. 1A, 5D and 14A are thematic clues as you have already identified. The replacements always result in a real word.
59 of 69  -   Report This Post

williamseal

1st December 2020, 17:00
Thanks Malone

I believe tht I''ve seen a little light after your hint. Not unconnected with Arsenal's weekend loss in an old way (for anyone who follows the game!). Hope I'm right

Your assistance is much appreciated.
60 of 69  -   Report This Post