CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

diver

29th November 2020, 20:46
... and I’ve just realised I haven’t done the last part of the preamble about removing a relevant entry and highlighting the required feature. Oops!
41 of 69  -   Report This Post

drxx

29th November 2020, 20:58
An engineer's name is removed from a word in the clue to give the answer (def - 'rat'/betray).

28 Yes, there are two 'touches' but only one affects the down entry.
42 of 69  -   Report This Post

diver

29th November 2020, 21:08
Okay, got that now. Many thanks drxx
43 of 69  -   Report This Post

simond9x

30th November 2020, 08:54
Argh! I thought I'd finished yesterday but noticed today that I still have a '?' against 19a. I have the answer and the definition but can't see the wordplay. Could someone tie off that loose end for me please? Thanks.
44 of 69  -   Report This Post

tatters

30th November 2020, 08:57
Affliction = bane
recurrent one = enab

live exhausted = l(iv)e
45 of 69  -   Report This Post

simond9x

30th November 2020, 09:00
Ah yes, thanks tatters. I couldn't get past the B and the E coming from BE = 'live'
46 of 69  -   Report This Post

suzannahj

30th November 2020, 14:17
Hello!

My brain isn't quite up to scratch this week - and I've made things worse by working on both the Listener and the Inquisitor at once. I'm struggling with the end games of both these crosswords, but am doing much better with the Listener at the moment. And a couple of pointers might be enough for me to finish it...

10a - I have the answer and can see the possible parsing for three of the internal letters, but can't quite satisfy the full clue. It's not a major issue in terms of completion, but I need to get it out of my head.

Also, the person's name is given by the untouched letters in 9 clues. I'm assuming 1a is one of them, so are the untouched letters all but the ones in the fourth cell? And in 5d, are they all but the letters in the second cell? Very confused by this...

Suzy x
47 of 69  -   Report This Post

malone

30th November 2020, 14:20
Suzannahj, for 10 A, ignore your middle three letters and read the rest of the answer backwards (it equals 'bound', the other word indicates reversal).
48 of 69  -   Report This Post

candledave

30th November 2020, 14:24
Re your second question Suzy, it’s the exact opposite of what you wrote. You’re looking for one letter per entry.
49 of 69  -   Report This Post

suzannahj

30th November 2020, 14:27
Thanks, Malone! I had a feeling it would be obvious, but I didn't twig the relevance of 'counter'.

Oh, and I've just noticed one other uncertain parse? Is the 'summers' an extra word in 13a? If so, I can make sense of it. If not, I'm perplexed.
50 of 69  -   Report This Post