CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

mathprofrockstar

28th November 2020, 23:15
Having trouble with 31a now. I think I have the definition but not the wordplay. If NI is Northern Ireland, I’m out of my element.
31 of 69  -   Report This Post

brendan

28th November 2020, 23:18
Hi MPRS,

This will be virtually impossible for a non-native - it's N(ational) I(nsurance) that you have to pay and it means the same as "mark" of "pound" - 'force' is an extra word.
32 of 69  -   Report This Post

mathprofrockstar

29th November 2020, 01:34
Thanks again, Brendan. I had thought pound was the definition.
33 of 69  -   Report This Post

moffat

29th November 2020, 11:53
All done, but I can’t parse 25d. Can anyone put my mind at rest ?
34 of 69  -   Report This Post

moffat

29th November 2020, 12:02
Oh, hang on, a couple of abbreviations does the trick. Phew!
35 of 69  -   Report This Post

moffat

29th November 2020, 12:03
Oh, hang on, a couple of abbreviations does the trick. Phew!
36 of 69  -   Report This Post

williamseal

29th November 2020, 12:36
As ever this Forum has helped me move on a little. I can see the answers to some straightforward clues - for example 6d and 32 across.

I'd completed about half the grid and feel I should stick at it. So far I am making no progress at all on the thematic ic adjustments. Is it soon to request a hint? If so I'll come back later in the week.

Looking at the NW corner. 10 across clearly clashes with 5 down in it's penultimate cell and there is a grouping of vowels here. Am I right? For similar reasons I can make no progress with 4 down - this ought to be a Russian currency but nothing fits.

Be gentle with me, please. My beloved Wales took an absolute hiding yesterday - the score flattered them and I had to sit through it on S4C.
37 of 69  -   Report This Post

drxx

29th November 2020, 13:06
williamseal - your little Russian coin will eventually fit. You will always have one correct letter from a crosschecking answer that is correct - it will replace a pair of letters each time (there are 2 pairings but they symbolise the same thing). I hope this helps you to progress.
38 of 69  -   Report This Post

mathprofrockstar

29th November 2020, 17:35
Mr. Seal, you are on the right track. 5d is thematic so if you solve the clue, and then figure the grid entry, which remember is a real word, you might start to catch on to the theme.
39 of 69  -   Report This Post

diver

29th November 2020, 20:39
I think I have it all worked out apart from 33d, ?ING, but don’t get the wordplay. And does 28d have two ‘touches’? Otherwise all seems to fit into place
40 of 69  -   Report This Post