CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

brendan

22nd November 2020, 03:19
Obviously I don't mean the last letter on its own sounds like E but rather when it's pronounced with the rest of the word.
11 of 61  -   Report This Post

brendan

22nd November 2020, 03:22
Cancel that, I'm a moron - I thought it was (Harry) Lime - I have it correct now.......Phew!!
12 of 61  -   Report This Post

geeker

22nd November 2020, 03:40
Brendan, if it's any comfort I went down *exactly* the same wrong path!
13 of 61  -   Report This Post

brendan

22nd November 2020, 03:46
Hi Geeker,

Oh, it is definitely of comfort - the strange thing is that, even though it made no sense whatsoever, I still kept trying to make the wordplay fit my answer rather than make my answer fit the wordplay.

This, coupled with the mess I made of the parsing for 26a, and it's probably a good job I missed yesterday's Guardian prize:-)
14 of 61  -   Report This Post

lucertola

22nd November 2020, 07:43
Hi Brendan. I don't get all this about numbers alphabetically for 6D so my answer's still slippery. Could you elucidate? Many thanks and all best.
15 of 61  -   Report This Post

jono

22nd November 2020, 07:56
I thought this was one of the better recent Everymans. Clues were tighter and less wordy than other weeks. Thanks for explaining 26, I didn’t see that either.

I see last week's boxing/rowing debacle rages on. The 225 blog went with boxing but the published solution on the Guardian website is rowing. I think enough said on that, just as well there’s no actual prize ;)
16 of 61  -   Report This Post

jono

22nd November 2020, 07:59
Lucertola, when you say 6d the first syllable sounds like the role and the second sounds like a letter
17 of 61  -   Report This Post

richardk

22nd November 2020, 08:07
I too went down the Harry Lime route and couldn’t work out where the “s” came from.

Even with this thread I still can’t say I’ve 100% got it.
18 of 61  -   Report This Post

lucertola

22nd November 2020, 08:20
Thanks, Jono. My slippery answer must be correct. What's doing my brain in is mystogre's earlier answer to brendan which says "The third man would be secret agent number? Alphabetically." Eh?
19 of 61  -   Report This Post

jono

22nd November 2020, 08:28
Lucertola, if I’m interpreting ’slippery’ correctly then I think you might not have it. There is a word that means slippery that fits there, but that’s not the answer. Brendans answer does make sense
20 of 61  -   Report This Post