CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

yevrah

22nd November 2020, 19:31
FemmeNoire... I joined the forum about 18 months ago and it gets better and better. No pressure!
51 of 61  -   Report This Post

will4jan

22nd November 2020, 22:05
That was hard,! Needed the forum's help for the infamous 6d and still took ages for the penny to drop but what a great clue! In addition to those mentioned, I liked 1a
52 of 61  -   Report This Post

rainman

22nd November 2020, 22:37
It took me ages as well, and the earlier clues weren't always helpful until I knew the answer. It is obviously a synonym for "scandalous" but it's also how you would describe curry, as someone earlier mentioned. Then the first syllable sounds like a secret agent and the second that he/she is the third of them.
53 of 61  -   Report This Post

femmenoire

22nd November 2020, 23:18
Rainman thanks that was the perfect hint for me to FINALLY get 6d!! I looked back and there are well over 20 posts about this slippery little fish of a clue now. And now that the penny has dropped, it seems so clear and obvious and really rather simple and clever and funny. Yay!
😅
54 of 61  -   Report This Post

femmenoire

22nd November 2020, 23:22
I guess it is a “homophone” clue
55 of 61  -   Report This Post

rossim

22nd November 2020, 23:32
6d I also made the mistake of going along with the Harry Lime idea. (my Dad love the theme music).
I was sure I had the right answer and thought (convinced myself ) the S came from it'S when spoken quickly.
21a was new to me. I don't fancy it!
56 of 61  -   Report This Post

femmenoire

23rd November 2020, 00:04
I agree 21 looks diabolical - slimy? My daughter loves it. I think it’s one of those novelty things that looks interesting on Instagram/ Pinterest
57 of 61  -   Report This Post

barryc

23rd November 2020, 14:56
Hi, all. Found this one much harder than usual but returned to it today & enjoyed all the posts.
Rainman - like Femmenoire, your 6D clue was perfect for me. (I was also going down the 'S Lime route initially.)
And I still don't get 26A. I think the answer is an island with the last half = a (male) exclamation, but then what does the first half mean?
Thanks for all the hints.
58 of 61  -   Report This Post

chrise

23rd November 2020, 15:01
it's also a crocodile relative, so a potentially deadly reptile.
59 of 61  -   Report This Post

rossim

23rd November 2020, 15:23
Definition of CAY (noun): raised coral or sand area in sea.
60 of 61  -   Report This Post