CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

brendan

22nd November 2020, 00:53
I found this week's Everyman was the proverbial 'game of two-halves'.

Some of the clues, like the 'primarily' and the anagrams were pretty much write-ins but others were a bit more difficult.

21a - I'd never heard of this, but that probably says more about me than the clue, however the wordplay is clear so no complaints.

6d - I think I know which 'third-man' the setter is referring to but that wouldn't account for the S at the beginning so.....?

8d - Again, I think I understand the wordplay but I need to look at it a bit more to make sure.

20d - I was unsure about the use of the present tense plural in the clue but, having checked in Chambers, it seems fine.

26a - Aside from the definition, I have no idea what's going on!

My FOI was 5a quickly followed by 4d and I was on my way.

If you do get stuck there is a very long anagram in the downs along with a partial anagram and a long anagram in the acrosses plus the aforementioned 'primarily'. There are also some generous 'hidden' clues which are always helpful.

COD There were some very nice clues this week and I particularly liked 23a and 25a but I've gone for 27a which is everything a clue should be - well written with a good surface and every single word has a function.

Thanks to Everyman for a fun crossword.

Please feel free to leave a comment giving your thoughts on the puzzle and, if you get stuck, don't hesitate to ask for a hint - or maybe you can answer a query:-)

Stay safe:-)
1 of 61  -   Report This Post

mystogre

22nd November 2020, 02:05
Hi Brendan

26a is a (usually) Caribbean word for island and another way of saying the last two words as an emphasis. Gives a sharp toothed little critter.

I am still thinking about some of the others. Good to see you again.
2 of 61  -   Report This Post

brendan

22nd November 2020, 02:14
Thanks Mystogre, much appreciated.

26a - The problem I have is that, apart from being a tough-skinned deadly reptile, my answer is a group of Islands not a single one as implied by the clue and there's also no indication that the "my God" is only partially shown nor that it's a homophone - again mine would be missing "O" at the beginning and it should be followed by K not C - I'm beginning to wonder if I've got the right answer.
3 of 61  -   Report This Post

mystogre

22nd November 2020, 02:17
Hi again Brendan.

Looking at 8d I think it is something to do with the film featuring the last two words musically. First word definition.

8d is a 4 letter words od French origin meaning without round a 4 letter word meaning duty or role. The whole clue is the definitIon.
4 of 61  -   Report This Post

brendan

22nd November 2020, 02:22
Yes, 8d is a very good clue.

6d my "third man" is from a film-noir and book by GG but I just don't see where the S comes from - perhaps I've got this wrong too?
5 of 61  -   Report This Post

mystogre

22nd November 2020, 02:23
Hi Brendan.

26a again. The island is definitely singular and, to me the clue reads as “on island” meaning a 3 letter way of saying “My God!” Is attached after the island.
6 of 61  -   Report This Post

mystogre

22nd November 2020, 02:27
Hi Brendan.

The third man would be secret agent number? Alphabetically.
7 of 61  -   Report This Post

brendan

22nd November 2020, 02:27
26a - Got it, as per usual I failed to bother looking up the definition of the first three letters - I'll never learn 🥵

Thanks Mystogre:-)
8 of 61  -   Report This Post

mathi

22nd November 2020, 03:12
Thanks. That explains 6d.
9 of 61  -   Report This Post

brendan

22nd November 2020, 03:16
Sorry guys, but I still don't see how 6d works. The last letter is a homophone/"hearing about" of E but that leaves the first 4 letters as the "third man" which I just can't make sense of - not if he's the third man from the novel by GG?
10 of 61  -   Report This Post