CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

prospero

24th October 2020, 15:51
seems to me that, for the "first" not to be redundant, you have to take out an "a" at the top and then the "s"
51 of 102  -   Report This Post

brendan

24th October 2020, 15:52
Hi Chris,

I think the word you and Jono refer to begins with an A , but Chambers gives "ro......." as "to excite" so there's no need to put and then delete an A as the first letter, just the "first stripper's top".
52 of 102  -   Report This Post

brendan

24th October 2020, 15:56
Hi Prospero,

The letter to be removed (stripper's top) occurs twice in the synonym for "excites" so I think "first" is just telling us which one of them we have to remove.
53 of 102  -   Report This Post

chrise

24th October 2020, 15:58
I see your point, Brendan, but the word beginning with A is much closer to "excite" than the one without it, I think.
54 of 102  -   Report This Post

brendan

24th October 2020, 16:01
I agree Chris but Chambers does confirm that to "ro...." does mean "to excite" so I'm fairly confident that the word that Puck intended.
55 of 102  -   Report This Post

jono

24th October 2020, 16:07
I think you’re correct Brendan, makes sense
56 of 102  -   Report This Post

femmenoire

24th October 2020, 16:23
Oh my, what wonderful words we have at 11a and 20a! Thanks for the pointers Brendan, because they are so obscure that I had to cheat by using an anagram solver, an area if the internet I have not ventured into before, and the first choice did not include one of them but I knew to look elsewhere.

Living in Michigan, a swing state no less, I am fed up to the back teeth hearing about the T word, as well as being disconcerted to say the least about various policies, lies and misdemeanours, so it was rather wonderful to see these expressive Shakespearean-sounding words that I will add to my lexicon forthwith! Being a Brit is the US I am often asked what I think in a way that seems like I am representing an entire nation’s opinion on the current incumbent. To lighten the situation I delight in telling Americans what the T word means in British English, and they are amused to find out that they a Mr Fart is in charge here.... Now I will say that he is a xxxxxxxxxxxx and a xxxxxxxxxxxx!!

57 of 102  -   Report This Post

brendan

24th October 2020, 16:30
Hi Femmenoire,

I couldn't agree more - 11a and 20a are such brilliant words, the trick will be knitting them seamlessly in to a sentence:-)
58 of 102  -   Report This Post

geeker

24th October 2020, 16:31
Having spent an inordinate amount of time before parsing 7, I agree with Brendan.
59 of 102  -   Report This Post

jono

24th October 2020, 16:36
I’m with you femmenoire, it would be nice to find a crossword with no political overtones once in a while. Vlad yesterday was particularly explicit I thought. That said, I was reminded, by the good folk over at 225, that Araucaria used to do it, so I guess it’s part of crossword life we live with :)
60 of 102  -   Report This Post