CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

chrise

26th September 2020, 20:00
Hi roof

Ethanol is C2H5OH

3d baffled me in the parsing originally. It's a sort of "backwards" clue, anagramming "in bar".

20a is a charade - for, mine (of the mining type), one, a, politician

13d a type of street fighter around a two-letter abbreviation for "old man" (or "father")
41 of 52  -   Report This Post

brendan

26th September 2020, 20:06
Hi Roof,

3d is tricky because it's a sort of self-referencing clue in that it's an anagram of "in bar" and the rest of the clue is the anagram indicator - definition is "one may forget".

20a is in 5 sections! 3 letter "favouring" + 3 letter "mine" + I + A + 4 letter "politician" - definition is "appeasing".

13d is an 8 letter "fighter" around/"protects" 2 letter "old man" - definition is "where work is rough"

Good luck with your quiz:-)
42 of 52  -   Report This Post

brendan

26th September 2020, 20:16
Sorry Roof,

3d it should be - it's an anagram of "in bar" and the rest of the answer (not the clue as I said previously) is the anagram indicator - definition is "one may forget".
43 of 52  -   Report This Post

roof

26th September 2020, 20:41
Many thanks to both Chrise and Brendan

Of course after I posted, I got all the last ones, though I can't see the parsing for a couple including 3d. I know you have explained it, but I can't quite put it together.

Similarly, I can't see the parsing for 14d, but I'm sure it is right. I'd never heard of 15ac and can't quite parse that either.

But time to give up.

Tomorrow I must prepare my questions on plants. My husband is doing music and history/politics.
44 of 52  -   Report This Post

roof

26th September 2020, 20:42
I've just got the parsing for 3d - very clever!
45 of 52  -   Report This Post

chrise

26th September 2020, 20:46
hi again, roof
14 d is a bit of a stretch. it's an anagram of toilets around a 3 letter word that vaguely means stuff.
15 would it help if i said a cockney word for behind (bottom!) is ARIS?
46 of 52  -   Report This Post

geeker

26th September 2020, 22:13
That was a new one to me. After some confusion about the proper Mafia term, wrote in the answer fairly quickly (it's an unusual word but occasionally seen in crosswords), parsed and concluded ARIS had to be said cockney term. Google then required.
47 of 52  -   Report This Post

brendan

26th September 2020, 22:23
Hi Geeker,

15d - In films like The Godfather, the police often have a chart on their wall showing who's who and the "capos" are the underbosses and it's the Don who is the boss - the "capo di tutti capi", as it were :-)
48 of 52  -   Report This Post

jvector

26th September 2020, 22:40
Phew, that was quite a toughie. Got there evenually but with a handfulk I could notparse, so thank you to: mathi@10,12, jono@15 and chrise@46 for explaining just how&why they were the way they were. Very clever cluing from Picaroon, one of my favourite setters.
49 of 52  -   Report This Post

lucertola

27th September 2020, 08:36
Thanks, Mathi. Yes I had the right answer and your explanation fits. Clue pretty clunky!
50 of 52  -   Report This Post