CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

granama1

3rd August 2020, 08:50
Made reasonable progress with this but got stuck in the NE corner so a hint for 11d or 13a would be much appreciated. (I have worked out the advice and source so know the moved letter in 11d - does the message have any relevance to the rest of the end game?)
21 of 61  -   Report This Post

malone

3rd August 2020, 09:01
Granama, in 11 D the definition is 'intentions of Macbeth'. A letter moves forward in 'merest', so that you can then apply 'without...' to a six-letter word for 'courage', strength. 'Succeeded' gives the usual...

Yes, the message is relevant.
22 of 61  -   Report This Post

granama1

3rd August 2020, 09:15
Thanks Malone. Got it. On we go...
23 of 61  -   Report This Post

lumen

3rd August 2020, 09:24
I still don’t see this one, does ‘succeeded’ lead to Just one letter then?
I’d also be grateful for a tip on 3d, which looks like meaning most common, with two Bs, but can’t see the letter to move.
24 of 61  -   Report This Post

drxx

3rd August 2020, 09:50
Yes, lumen - succeeded = S (then change 'merest' to arrive at an abbrev that can be removed from the top of the 6 letter word for 'Courage').
The word to change in 3 is 'song' - giving the 3 letter (amorous) word surrounding an anag of 'bible' + S.
25 of 61  -   Report This Post

drxx

3rd August 2020, 09:56
...I think that 'also originally S[set]' is how the clue justifies interrupting the container word twice - because it isn't intact as a container - but maybe there's another way.
26 of 61  -   Report This Post

lumen

3rd August 2020, 10:00
Thanks drxx. Got 3d. Is that a real word! I suppose so.
Still pondering this synonym for strength/courage. Does it lead to general Shakespearean word for intentions then, not Scottish king specific?
Can you give me letter moved in 32d, like with a few others, I have a solution without knowing the letter.
27 of 61  -   Report This Post

drxx

3rd August 2020, 10:08
It's another one of those strange Scottish words, lumen - for 'Courage' you might be 'on your...' for this synonym.
For 32 you want 'waivers' to become an anagrind for the word that comes before it (minus the last letter of...).
28 of 61  -   Report This Post

granama1

3rd August 2020, 10:10
Lumen, you may hear the courage word as 'this will test his ......'
I'm now stuck with 13a if it's an engine part I can't see it (:o(
29 of 61  -   Report This Post

drxx

3rd August 2020, 10:17
It's a body part granama1 that becomes an engine part with 'pin' added (but it's ok without 'pin' as an engine part according to chambers). Anag alt letters in 'inwards' + either end of T(appe)t.
30 of 61  -   Report This Post